A Day In The Life, need help and input/feedback

pbraun

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello everyone,
I have been a "silent" member since TG went to the monthly program and like to think I have learned alot from everyone. A while back I did post that I thought A Day In The Life would make a great lesson. I saw McCartney do it in Sept. I decided to give it a try and this is what I came up with. A know I have alot further to go especially on Barr chords and in the finger position of G and A. There seems to be several different componets of the song and I have tried to work them in the best I can.
A very cold day off in Atlanta so I figured I would give this a try today.
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Hey Pete, congratulations and welcome to the video posters club! Great idea to do that song. That's a lot of playing there ...5 mins, a lot of concentration. I will leave the tips and critique to other members who are more competent at it than I. So I'll stand back with the cheerleaders and say, well done!

dennisg

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:01 pm

Pete,

Welcome to the video posters club. That's a song that would never have occurred to me in a million years to do as a video, but now that I see your version, I've got to put it on my list. Well played!

The one thing I noticed that could use some improvement is the efficiency of your chord changes. There's a lot of lifting your fingers well away from the fretboard, resulting in slow placement of your fingers for the next chord. That wouldn't be a big issue, except that in order to stay in tempo, you're oftentimes strumming with your right hand while your left hand is still moving toward the chord position. My suggestion is to slow the song way down, making sure that each strum is on top of a solidly placed chord. Once you get that down, you can pick up the tempo.

Hope this helps.

- Dennis

haoli25

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Good job Pete. I am glad that you are no longer a 'silent member', we can always use more opinions and tips in the Forum. You mentioned working on barre chords and the finger position for the A and G chord. I think your barre chords are pretty clean, but if you will try Neil's way of playing the G and A chords, it will make your transitions much smoother. It took a lot of re-learning on my part too, but it was worth the effort. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

wrench

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Pete,

Be silent no more! Welcome to the posters' club.

I agree with Dennis' tips, and would add that fingering your chords more in the order the notes are played will speed your changes some. Since this song is mostly strummed with down strokes, build your chords from sixth string down. On the barre chords, lay down your index finger first.

That was a pretty challenging first post, and I think you did a good job on it. Congratulations and thanks for posting.

wrench

tovo

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Nothing to add Pete in the way of tips that hasn't been raised but I liked it and congrats on posting. That 1st one is usually very nerve-wracking but it gets easier so keep them coming.

BobR

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi Pete,

As everyone has said welcome to the video poster's club. I am still learning so I will leave any critique to more experienced players. The first post is the hardest and you can only improve from here.

Good Job

Bob

AndyT

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Pete,

Good job on a tough song.
I was looking at your strumming. I think it could be more focused on the chord you're playing. When you play a D just play those strings. I think you were hitting extra strings in there a few times.

As was pointed out above, slow it down a bit. Make sure you have really well before you speed up. Slowing down gives you more time to make the changes on time and still trains your fingers where to go.

The only other thing I would add at this point would be to use a metronome while you're working it slow.

Still, a great first post and really well done on a tough song!

pbraun

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:15 am

Thanks everyone for the great input, I will work on it this weekend. I may try to put up something one Heart of Gold that I see being discussed.
Thanks again
Pete

jayswett

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Geez. I go away for a week and come back to find all these great videos. This was very nice, and with a couple of weeks of practice, it will be sounding brilliant.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic