Neil Young - Love is a Rose - MarkM

MarkM

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:40 pm

I was working some things today and wanted to apply them to this song. What pre-tell was I working on you ask? Well I wanted to work on a not too difficult song using Neil's fingering for a G cord. Also I was using a thinker pick (1mm) and wanted to see how that would work on a song that has many hammer ons and some picking with the strumming. Lastly I wanted to sing. Hmmmmmmmm.....

Well I have this song so many takes singing it that it was a mess. I can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time nevermind sing and play. Also my voice wasn't projecting loud enough to hear. Normally that wouldn't be a problem because I don't want to hear my voice nevermind having to put all of you through it. So if I can figure out a way to work on that I'll put that out in the future.

Love is a Rose is a nice little song that is easy and fun. Ah on that G chord. Well I didn't need the bottom E so as you can see I didn't go there BUT I was able to use the correct fingering on Low E and A strings. This a very tough habbit to break.

MarkM

tovo

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Sounds good to my ears Mark, smooth strumming and picking. Good job.

BobR

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Mark,

Cool song and real good job. I really couldn't see your G fingering, but I thought it sounded fine to me. I was waiting for the singing to kick in :laugh: :woohoo:

Bob

dennisg

Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:33 pm

Mark,

Your guitar playing is just terrific in every video of yours I've seen. It's relaxed, loose, and very precise. What was interesting to me was to hear the music without the lyrics, because there's so much more going on in the song than I ever knew, because the music tends to get lost behind the voices. I'm embarrassed to say that until I saw this post, I had no idea it was a Neil Young song -- I thought it was just a Linda Ronstadt song.

- Dennis

michelew

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 am

It sounded great Mark. Very smooth, I loved the hammer-ons and it made me want to go to a hoe down. It has a really fun sound. Good job!

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 am

It's great how such a little thing like hammer-ons can really make an easy piece sound more interesting.

I also liked the evenness of your strumming. You have good control of how hard you hit the strings.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 am

Another goldie Mark. Well done!

dennisg

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 am

Mark,

One thing I forgot to add in my original post: We get to see a lot of wall space at both ends of your guitar. It looks like you could frame the shot tighter and give us a better look at what you're doing. You're always playing such interesting things; I'd like to see them closer up.

- Dennis

MarkM

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks all!! I really tried to sing this one and after seeing Dennis with his I kicked myself. His was truley a great performance.

I'll tighten up the shot on the next song. Not sure what that is yet buty Dennis gave me an idea with his song Junk yesterday. I'll have to see if I can get through it alright. Still working on Friend of the Devil and having a difficult time maintaining contact with the strings. That may be something good to get a tight shot on.

Thanks for all the compliments (?? really need spell check on this forum)I wish I had enough confidence in my ability as warranted by all the support I get here.

MarkM

jayswett

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Not a very well known Neil Yong song, but definitely a gem in my opinion. I play it slightly differently with a GCGD progression for the verse and a CGDG for the chorus. Pretty simple. One last thing... if you are interested in learning to fingerpick, this song sounds pretty good when fingerpicked, even though NY doesn't play it that way. Having just watched your video, I played around with it a bit and found that it sounds nice with just a simple arpeggio, but also with an alternating base technique. Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard this song in a long time. Next stop, itunes to download it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic