Melissa w/ attempted Melody -- by Goldleaf

goldleaf

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:21 pm

r, thanks, I used Neil to get what I have with this song, I was going to sing the melody (lyrics) as Neil did, then I could just focus on strumming alone, but I decided to try to add the melody with the guitar, which Neil didn't have to do since he sang it. I think Neil would have to review my version and tell me how to strum and play melody simultaneously as I tried to do. I'm sure it can be done, just not by me, yet!! thanks r Gary

johnrfeeney

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:00 pm

very good , a difficult song to strum and pick out the melody - actually that is difficult to do in any song

jayswett

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:44 pm

That's such a great song, and although there are a couple of things to work on as indicated by others, you did a very nice job with this. Looking forward to the followup.

goldleaf

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks, Jayswett - appreciate you taking time to comment. Just read a post re: "which song has been your nemesis", this one was my choice for that honor. Playing the chords and adding in melody has proved to be quite a challenge as many have commented on how the strumming needs some work, as well as a few unplanned noted or missed notes. I am pretty much at a loss as to, how to strum the chords continuously and add melody at the same time. Unless Neil can make some comments that might lead me to a path of combining the strumming with melody, it will probably retain the title of "nemesis. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Gary, missed your posting and I'm so late to comment that every thing's been said. Marc really gave you a detailed feedback so this is me being a cheer leader again! Well done... love the sound of that Guild.

goldleaf

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks, Chris. I think it's time to break out my Guild,Indian Rosewood Side & Back and AAA spruce top for a little different sound. BTW, Melissa was my pick as the song that was my "nemesis". I started off trying to play and sing it & that didn't work, then I decided to try to play some melody along with the chords and it sounds like most of the responders felt my strumming needed some work. I still don't know how to do both and have it sound good. Maybe Neil will take pity on me and show me the path of how the chords and melody can both be played together so I can learn Melissa, a song I really like. Gary

goldleaf

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks again Chris. I'm still holding out hope that I might get some feedback on how to play "Melissa" add some melody in place of singing. I made an attempt, wasn't satisfied but after 3 weeks of setting on it I posted it in hopes of getting some suggestions how to combine strumming and melody playing "Melissa". Really, don't hold back. I think my somewhat rough attempt could be an opportunity for a mini lesson on how to combine strumming and melody for us TGer's who are trying to improve. Thanks Gary

BigBear

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Gary- Like Chris, I am late to comment on your video. Really nice job overall. That Guild sounds great!

I won't reiterate the great feedback you've received already except to suggest that I might try to get this song to where I can play it in my sleep, with heavy emphasis on smooth, steady strumming before you add any embellishments. You've got a beautiful guitar, let is sing a little bit! You don't have to fill every moment with new sound, let some of the sounds ring for awhile ie. "... Sweet Melissa..(pause/ let ring)"

Then add a few hammer-ons or pull-off offs to add a little interest. Finally, when all that is down pat you can mess around with adding melody or chord soloing. I honestly think it would be mistake to try to do much at this point while learning the song. If you add melody right now it's going to mess with your timing and the smooth flow of this song is critical.

I can't wait to see the follow-up video for this great song! Thanks for sharing with us and again, great job!

Cheers! :cheer:

goldleaf

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks bear for the input. If you read some of my posts you probably noticed I started off trying to play and sing Melissa. I decided that was not one for me to sing, so I started playing the song and trying to add some melody for another couple weeks. I was still not satisfied but I thought I'd post what I'd already put almost a month on & off into. I can strum Melissa, - I was going to say in my sleep but it is turning into a nightmare. If you've heard my posts on Harvest Moon, my own song Founder by Chance and the Loner, you may or may not agree I can strum fairly well on most songs where strumming is important. Adding melody or singing along is where it gets tricky for me. I don't think I could bear-- to just strum this song and post that after all the changes I've been through with this one. It definitely has earned "My nemesis" song award, thats for sure. Thanks bear, I always appreciate your encouragement & input. Your friend, Gary

BigBear

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:26 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Thanks bear for the input. If you read some of my posts you probably noticed I started off trying to play and sing Melissa. I decided that was not one for me to sing, so I started playing the song and trying to add some melody for another couple weeks. I was still not satisfied but I thought I'd post what I'd already put almost a month on & off into. I can strum Melissa, - I was going to say in my sleep but it is turning into a nightmare. If you've heard my posts on Harvest Moon, my own song Founder by Chance and the Loner, you may or may not agree I can strum fairly well on most songs where strumming is important. Adding melody or singing along is where it gets tricky for me. I don't think I could bear-- to just strum this song and post that after all the changes I've been through with this one. It definitely has earned "My nemesis" song award, thats for sure. Thanks bear, I always appreciate your encouragement & input. Your friend, Gary

Gary- I hesitate to be too "helpful" but I figure if anyone takes the time to post s video (I'm still trying!) you want good honest feedback. I don't think a steady stream of "great job" does much except for your ego! lol!

Your problem isn't with strumming, it's with timing. Melissa has a smooth feel to it and those chords down the neck need to almost slide into the next chord. They can't jump from chord to chord. When you try to add melody you almost have to chop the chords to add the notes and you destroy the feel.

This is a song that a second guitar would have a blast soloing over the chords but for a solo guitarist it's going to be a challenge. That's why I suggested adding very short embellishments instead of more elaborate melody notes or runs. You could just do chord soloing if you can keep the flow but if it results in choppiness it won't work.

We've all got these songs that torture us. Whenever I start feeling good about myself, I pull out Windy and Warm and jolt myself back to reality!! lol! I WILL beat that damned song- someday!

Good luck my friend! You'll get it soon! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic