Friend of the Devil - MarkM

MarkM

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Still having trouble with this song. It seems to be quite the albatross for me. It's not that the chords are difficult. I'm progressing fine with the bass notes. For me it's the down/ups following the bass notes. Doesn't matter what speed I play it at either. I'm thinking that if I just keep at it muscle memory will take over. This one is quite frustrating. On the good side I FINALLY got my video uploads squared away. After reading Gary's/Goldleaf's Melissa thread I noticed that we both have the same software that came with the camera. So I tried what he described in how he exports and WA-LA. It seems to work. Not that it helped the talent or lack thereof. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to clean this up I'm all ears.

MarkM

[video type=youtube][/video]

haoli25

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Good job Mark. I had sooooo much trouble when I tried to learn this song. Stay with it, you will get it. One suggestion for you, try moving your left thumb behind the neck. It will improve the angle that your fingers contact the strings. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

Lavallee

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Good video Mark, it sounds good to me , you have a constant strumming and your bass notes are coming clear. The few times which sound muffled is when there is bit of timing problem between the strumming and picking but that is practice. Again it sounds good

Marc

goldleaf

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Mark, that song is one I fought with for a week or so and finally let go. Glad you did it so well. & glad my post re: Pixella software that came with my video cam helped with your video post. Gary

tovo

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Sounded real good to me Mark. If that's how you play when you are struggling, please send me a mail reminding me to watch your video when you think you have really nailed one because it will be absolutely awesome! :)

That's a really nice tune that I'm not familiar with. I've heard it a few times now on TG, might be time to check it out.

Good job.

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Not a tune i'm familiar with, I do understand where you are coming from though with the melody and strum trying to get them together and the timing issues right. But as tovo says if this is you struggling, man what are you like when you've nailed one, this (to my ears) didn't sound way too bad at all!

dennisg

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Mark,

That's absolutely terrific. And I've got to tell you, to read your post, one would think that you're barely able to get some notes out. The song sounds great. I can't imagine what you expect for having just learned it. You're in what I'd refer to a the "cleanup phase" of the song, where you've pretty much got everything down; you just to get a few timing issues fixed and it'll be perfect.

I've commented on this before, but you've got a really supple right wrist, which makes for very good and relaxed strumming.

- Dennis

michelew

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Mark - I really loved it! It sounded great and I think I need to add it to my 2010 learning queue as it's a good mix of strumming and flatpicking, which I need to work on. I thought you did a great job and those hammer-on sound fab as always. But, where was your guitar face????

MarkM

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks all. You are way too kind.

Haoli25 - Yeah this song is really hard. I don't know what it is. Even when I play it slow it doesn't get any better. I know my thumb is wrapped around the neck pretty good but I leave it there to deaden the low E when I hit it by mistake. Which you can tell is often. It's a bad habit I know and will try to get my hand in better position.

Marc - Yeah. Timing seems to be the real key here. I'll be chugging along and then it gets real hard to keep the beat. Got to keep practicing.

Gary - This song is a love/hate thing with me now. Thanks for getting me stait on the software!!

Tony - For a person who did Hallelujah the way you did I take that as a compliment. You're to kind. This song has many many mistakes that need to be cleaned up. You should check Neils lesson and here how it is supposed to be played.

Chas - Thanks. Its an improvement over the one I did a few weeks ago. (hopefully anyway). Just a lot of moving parts here that I'm having trouble with

Dennis - Thanks. Give me enough time and I'll strum most things. Can't fingerpick worth a damn though. I try and give this song at least 30 minutes a day and hopefully build up the timing and muscle memory. Still can't get over your song "Junk" the other day.

Michele - Thank you so much. It really is a fun song to play. Kind of like with you play golf or at least the way I do. It's hitting that one shot of the day that will bring you back for me. For me if I get through a verse and the bridge without any hiccups I've got a huge smile on my face to bring me back the next day. As for not showing my face I took a cue from Dennis I think and did a bit of a close up on what my hands were trying to do.

MarkM

beaker

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Mark, good job on the song, your bass notes are good and so is your strumming. just keep playing it. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic