Junk by Dennis

goldleaf

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Dennis, Neil's review really shows why the rest of us were so impressed with your video. Like Jay said, you really set a high standard for the rest of us. All we have to do is find an really awesome song that's been tucked away for 40 years, convert it into a great chords & melody & learn to sing the lyrics so they sound great with the song, get the right video/audio setup, have a beautiful Taylor or other guitar and play it without a mistake, thats all. Just joking, since this is not a talent contest as you said but something we all can learn from & enjoy. Gary

johnrfeeney

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:47 pm

beautiful - ouitstanding

goldleaf

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Very difficult to play the way Neil demonstrates it, at least for me. I still haven't been able to figure that 6 note run in 1/3rds or 10ths as Neil said. Just can't see what he's playing and can't figure some of it out by ear. I'll keep at it though. Any more detailed suggestions on how to play Neil's version would be appreciated. This is nothing against Dennis version, it was great and he transposed it and brought it to out attention so props for a really great song by Dennis and well played and sung. I just want to learn it in standard tuning. Gary

ffsooo3

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:19 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Very difficult to play the way Neil demonstrates it, at least for me. I still haven't been able to figure that 6 note run in 1/3rds or 10ths as Neil said. Just can't see what he's playing and can't figure some of it out by ear. I'll keep at it though. Any more detailed suggestions on how to play Neil's version would be appreciated. This is nothing against Dennis version, it was great and he transposed it and brought it to out attention so props for a really great song by Dennis and well played and sung. I just want to learn it in standard tuning. Gary
Hey Gary, The 6 note run is:
6th string: open, 2nd, 4th frets
5th string: open, 2nd, 4th frets

While at the same time:
3rd string: 1st, 2nd, 4th frets
2nd string: 2nd, 3rd, 5th frets

goldleaf

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:28 am

Thanks, ffsoo3, don't know why it was so hard to hear those notes, thanks, that what I was looking for, now just learning the whole song. I've got a good start on it although some of those changes, like the A bar in the 2nd fret and the 2 note pull off is hard to get my fingers to do what I want them to do. I'm determined though & I'll keep at it. Thanks again for getting me over that hump. Gary

ffsooo3

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:38 am

goldleaf wrote:
Thanks, ffsoo3, don't know why it was so hard to hear those notes, thanks, that what I was looking for, now just learning the whole song. I've got a good start on it although some of those changes, like the A bar in the 2nd fret and the 2 note pull off is hard to get my fingers to do what I want them to do. I'm determined though & I'll keep at it. Thanks again for getting me over that hump. Gary
You're welcome. I know what you mean about some changes being difficult to get. Right now I'm working on 'Burgandy Heart Shaped Medallion' by David Wilcox and 'Whiter Shade of Pale' (Pinofluvius' arrangement) and find myself playing a SINGLE measure, VERY slowly, over and over and over again until the fingers start to remember. I might play the same measure for 5 solid minutes (which seems like forever) and then walk away for a few hours. When I come back, if the fingers have forgotten (and they usually do at first) I'll do the same measure again until the fingers finally remember. Then I move on to the next measure....

Good luck with 'Junk'. I hope we'll see a video sometime!

goldleaf

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:17 pm

ffooos, Thanks again for your help. I'm not familiar with either of the songs you mentioned, but they sound difficult. As you mentioned repeating a single or a couple of measures, maybe just a 2 or 3 chord changes, I have to practice over and over for maybe 10 minutes at a time, your right, that is a long time for just a measure but that is the way I've always had to do it to be successful a learning anything. One problem is if I don't play those songs or the parts I learned for awhile 6 months or more, I almost have to start over again. I'm also working on the Crosby Stills Nash new songs like 4 & 20 & Sweet Judy Blue Eyes in the DADDAD tuning. So trading off helps me keep my concentration, I'm just glad I have a few guitars so I can keep one tuned at alternate tunings. Looking forward to hearing one of the songs you are practicing, I would like to do a vid of Junk but to get it to where is ready might take at least a few weeks, maybe more if I decide to sing it also. Gary

ffsooo3

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:08 pm

goldleaf wrote:
ffooos, Thanks again for your help. I'm not familiar with either of the songs you mentioned, but they sound difficult. As you mentioned repeating a single or a couple of measures, maybe just a 2 or 3 chord changes, I have to practice over and over for maybe 10 minutes at a time, your right, that is a long time for just a measure but that is the way I've always had to do it to be successful a learning anything. One problem is if I don't play those songs or the parts I learned for awhile 6 months or more, I almost have to start over again. I'm also working on the Crosby Stills Nash new songs like 4 & 20 & Sweet Judy Blue Eyes in the DADDAD tuning. So trading off helps me keep my concentration, I'm just glad I have a few guitars so I can keep one tuned at alternate tunings. Looking forward to hearing one of the songs you are practicing, I would like to do a vid of Junk but to get it to where is ready might take at least a few weeks, maybe more if I decide to sing it also. Gary
Gary, Here's the arrangement of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' I'm working on. If I ever get it finished, maybe I'll post a video...

http://www.youtube.com/user/pinofluvius ... 3DLarwDOO0

goldleaf

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:57 pm

ffs, great choice, I didn't read your other post closely enough, of course I know Whiter Shade of Pale. What an awesome version you are choosing to learn. Looks like a lot of different elements to remember or read from TAB or sheet music. Looks like a long term project but well worth the time. That would be so incredible to be able to play that version of WSoP. If I can get Junk to a point where it's worthy of making a video, I will have a great feeling of accomplishment, just as I would think you would when you get WSoP to a video ready state. It looks doable, just a lot of different changes to remember. How are you learning it, by TAB or Sheet Music or just watching and listening to that version you posted on Youtube?? Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic