TOVO - That Beatles number again!

BigBear

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Tony- I can tell this song is really torturing you! Maybe you are just trying to hard.

This version is a big improvement over the previous one. One thing I noticed is the B hammer-on out of the D chord is really screwing with your timing. It doesn't have to be a hammer-on. Just play it like a regular note in the melody. "I once had a girl..." doesn't need to bounce. Maybe think of it as a steady little run, like a bass run, going higher to lower.

Also, your strumming pattern has a kind of "skip beat" or fast up and down in it that doesn't occur naturally in the song. Remember the accent is on the first beat of the measure.

I really think if you would try to sing this song as you played your timing would calm down immediately because singing the words will cause your tempo to smooth out.

I really admire your dedication to this song. You are a shining example of hard work overcoming the challenges of learning something new. I know you will get this song very soon. Don't give up buddy, you are so close!

Your big, furry friend! :cheer:

dennisg

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Tony,

Each iteration of this song is a vast improvement over the previous one, and that's a testament to your hard work. Congratulations! Your strumming is lighter, your right wrist is more supple, and everything about the song just sounds better.

A comment about playing slower: I don't think it was Chris's intention (although I'll let him speak for himself) to insist that the end product should be slower -- only that the practicing should be. You still need to clean up some missed notes and errant strums, and a good way to do that is to slow everything down. Once you're comfortable that you've got it nailed, then pick up the tempo.

Finally, it sounds like the third note in the picked sequence is the wrong note. I thought maybe you'd just flubbed it the first couple of times, but it's the same throughout the song, so I'm wondering if maybe you're not aware that it's the wrong note.

But, again, it's a pleasure watching you grab this song by the ... well, whatever it is you're grabbing it by, and making it come to life.

- Dennis

MarkM

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Tony,

YES!!! Getting better all the time. The melody is really coming along nicely. Everything is sounding more clean. I wouldn't necessarily slow all fo the song down. The melody is pretty close I think. I did think, to my ears, that the strumming section Dm,G,Dm,Em7,A was a bit quicker than the rest of the song. Maybe slow that section down a bit. Great job though!!You are making huge improvements on this "nemesis" of your. I wish I could say the same for mine.

MarkM

tovo

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks Wrench. The fingering tips are really good, I'll definitely work on that I see the value of what you are saying immediately after giving it a little try.

Bear..that dedication might send me to the nut house humming "I once had an obsession..or should I say...it once had me" :)

I think it's improved heaps...but as I have said before I've not previously had to put in so much work for such slow progress. Still, nothing worthwhile comes easy. I'll leave it a while now.

tovo

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks Mark, sometimes the progress doesn't come as quickly as we would like eh?

Dennis thanks for your thoughtful comments as always. A wrong note? Not sure. I think the 3rd note is an open G, immediately after the hammer-on. If I'm playing it wrong I've been doing it so long I've failed to notice anymore, I'll need to go back and check, thanks.

dennisg

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Listen to the song again. I'm pretty sure it's the wrong note.

Anyone? Bueller?

- Dennis

suziko

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Tony, You really are making progress on this song and I appreciate you having the humility to let us watch you go through the process. Because, really, we've all been there with one song or another!!

A couple of things: it seems to me that you start of with a slower tempo but that it speeds up as you progress. Have you practiced with a metronome? It's tedious as heck, but really helpful. When I'm struggling with a song I play with a metronome set unbearably slow, way, way slower than the song is really played. It's helps me to smooth out those things that I consistently flub when played at a regular speed. Also helps me to keep my speed consistent throughout the song.

Also, as Neil mentioned in his response video and as Bear said here, I'd try jettisoning the hammer-on/pull-off combo for a while until you've really nailed both the melody and the transition to the strum. It's an unnecessary embellishment that you can always add back in later, but which might be bunging things up right now.

All that said, nice progress!

tovo

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks Suzi, I have nothing but humility. It's just more practice but it's time to leave it for a while before I go completely loopy! :)

dennisg

Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:35 pm

tovo wrote:
Dennis thanks for your thoughtful comments as always. A wrong note? Not sure. I think the 3rd note is an open G, immediately after the hammer-on. If I'm playing it wrong I've been doing it so long I've failed to notice anymore, I'll need to go back and check, thanks.
Okay, Tony, I think I've got it. The note progression should be A - B - A - G - F#. I hear you playing A - B - G - G - F#

- Dennis

tovo

Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:38 pm

dennisg wrote:
tovo wrote:
Okay, Tony, I think I've got it. The note progression should be A - B - A - G - F#. I hear you playing A - B - G - G - F#

- Dennis
Thanks Dennis for checking. I think you're right, but I need time to check with my guitar in hand. Right now I'm not home. Cheers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic