TOVO - That Beatles number again!

tovo

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:41 pm

jayswett wrote:
Definitely much better than your first, and positive progress relative to your second. No question. I must admit, though, after watching your Hallelujah performance, I'm disappointed when I don't hear any vocals on this song. No doubt, you'll say that you want to master the music first, and I would certainly agree with that.
Thanks Jay. My aim is to post a version of this once a month for the next 12 months, and have it right by January 2011. Also by then, every time someone clicks on You Tube and types Norwegian Wood all they will see is my 15 or so versions. (That's a joke, I know Dennis and Fred like to have them pointed out)

Yeah Jay spot on, I'm trying for some decent playing on it first, although someone Chas? Bear? can't recall, suggested singing might help me to relax a bit and probably would. I have tried it, not an easy song to sing either! I'm thinking of starting a lobby group to have the number changed from 2 to 10.

Thanks for commenting Jay. I love your last effort as well. Really strong.

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm

I'll join that lobby group its defintely not a 2 in my book, maybe 2[sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub]

Oh and weren't me suggesting you sing, i'd never recommend something I'm not prepared to do myself, I wouldn't inflict my singin on my worst enemy lol

willem

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Tony, you were hide or something, i missed this and i would'nt..
It is certainly a progress,, and again you have get great advises, i think you work with that,,,,there is a playing along with Neil!! or find one on YT..

I play it the easy way, not the hammer on/off
I play this of and on...goodluck....

Yamaha48

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello my friend.

I feel my happy,when i hear this tune.
Its not easy to play this tune,as it like.
Thanks Tony fore sharering,good input man.

Warm greet Anton

tovo

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Willem, Anton, thanks Guys.

Lavallee

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 am

Hi Tony, sorry for the late comment. As the others have mentioned, each new version is improving. Your rhythm is smoother but increase sometimes in the free strumming. If I recall Neil's comments on your previous video, he was saying that the picked notes die or get muffled and was suggesting to work on the sustaining of the notes. I think this is the biggest challenge of this song.

Nice work

Marc

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:47 pm

tovo wrote:
Gee Chris I don't know. Slow it down more? It will become..."I once had an old lady in a wheelchair"

I don't feel it's rushed like it was before. But thanks for the feedback, always appreciated.
LMAO Tony! That aside, I think it is getting better with each post! A few more, and you'll have it spot on. I admire your tenancity, and it is paying off! When you get this one down, it will open up some new doors for other songs as well.

Keep it up Tony! You are so close now (though I have to admit, I like it now as well)........ B)

tovo

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks Marc, the path is clear for me now. (Spoken just like Kane in Kung Fu) Seriously, you're right. I've now moved on and back to finger picking for a song which I do find easier, but I will be back to get this one right over the coming months.

MJ thanks man. I think everyone has a technique they find difficult. Mine is moving from picking out melody notes to strumming in 12/8 time. Very tough for me as everyone has seen. But no doubt in my mind I have learned much more from all this advice than I ever learned from getting kudos. Kudos is very nice but you learn much more from what yo do badly.

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:54 pm

tovo wrote:
MJ thanks man. I think everyone has a technique they find difficult. Mine is moving from picking out melody notes to strumming in 12/8 time. Very tough for me as everyone has seen. But no doubt in my mind I have learned much more from all this advice than I ever learned from getting kudos. Kudos is very nice but you learn much more from what yo do badly.
Tony:

Yep! I just asked Neil a question about that for tomorrow's TG Live. The two songs I am working on now have that little issue. One more than the other, but it is still there. I like to get my arm moving a bit to keep time, but when I need to keep it somewhat stationary to pick out individual notes, it throws off my return to the strumming. I have to admit, that the last couple of nights it has gotten better, but it still sounds off a bit. Probably just a matter of comfort more than anything. I am always so worried about making it sound just like the recording that I miss the whole point of relaxing and making it sound smooth. At any rate, you could not be more right about learning more from what you are bad at. I have always learned my lessons that hard way......lol

MJ

Hope you can make TG Live tomorrow!

d_dog

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:13 pm

I agree with the metronome comments. I think you begin and stick with the original recorded timing for the most part when you're in the picking phase, but you speed up during the strumming. I have struggled with this song as well, I may post it sometime soon to make it a fair game :laugh: Maybe a break from it would be good as you've suggested, it's amazing what the brain will do to work on a song when you've stopped playing it for awhile.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic