Landslide - Updated

Lavallee

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 am

Jay, this was very nicely played. the rhythm is very constant and all the strings come out with the proper level of intensity keeping a good balance thoughout the song. If anything the solo needs a bit more work but I am sure it is only practice. I think you just lack a bit of confidence on it at this point because you hit all the strings but the level goes down but it is all there.

Another excellent video from you

Marc

dennisg

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 am

Somewhere in northern California, Lindsey Buckingham is sitting in his palatial home, a carmel macchiato next to his mouse pad, typing these words into into a blog: I can retire now. I have seen the future, and its name is Jay. I shall pass along Stevie's unlisted phone number to him.

Jay, an absolutely wonderful effort. What I admire so much about your playing isn't just your talent -- which is always evident -- but also your ambition. That's a really, really difficult song, and you're going to have its scalp very soon.

MarkM

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:26 am

Jay,

Wonderful job. You've got a real knack for fingerpicking. I'm so envious. This song is far from easy and with your hardwork it is paying off big time. Although the volume/equalization may have been keeping the mids and highs down a bit I still saw/heard enough of the solo and can say that you are really doing well there. It has to be very difficult to keep the time with th same chord progression for, really, the entire song and then to throw the solo in and itermix it with the progression is amazing. Job well done there. Really enjoy your videos. Thanks.

MarkM

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 am

Wow, Jay, really nicely done!! As a few others have mentioned already, this song doesn't look that hard on paper, but it's more challenging than it seems it should be. Nice work on the solo. It adds so much to the song and it'll only take you a little longer to really nail it. I also would have liked to hear the high notes a bit better, but I think that's more an issue with your camcorder than your playing.

Thanks for posting! Suzi

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 am

Jay:

I enjoyed that very much! It is one of my favorite pieces to play as well (though not nearly as good as you do yet). I think your fingerpicking is great. You make it look so easy and you keep a great bass line. The pattern is simple in this song, but it is easy to foul up, and you kept it throughout. You should be very proud of the effort you have put forth on this. The solo is almost there as well, which just shows how much work you have put into this piece. Keep up the great work!

MJ

Catman

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 am

Nicely done Jay (I'm not feeling very original today :( )

You've inspired me to put Lindsey Buckingham on my todo list--probably Never Go Back.

David

BobR

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Jay,

I thought you did a great job. It seems like the time spent was well worth the results. Once you get the solo down it will be complete

Bob

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Three months well spent mate, when I first attempted this song, post TG, I had great difficulty with the D7/F#, which I think Michele also mentioned. You just sail right through, cool! Then to include the solo I'm impressed mate, the only thing letting you down I believe is the audio not your playing.

Good on ya mate!

Chas

reiver

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Jay

Can't think of any words of praise that haven't been said already. Great post of a great song.

I haven't tried this lesson (though I do know the song) and I was interested in looking to see how Neil plays the final run in the solo, 'cos it is fast on one string and I think I'm right in saying that you actually play ie strike the string for each note. Watching Neil, he hammers/pulls off and slides without striking the string on every note and it lets him play a bit faster with little RH effort. You may already be aware of this, but if not it may be something to have a look at, because the rest of the song is really solid.

Thanks for another top quality post.

r

jayswett

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks to all for taking the time to watch and comment. There was definitely a problem with the overpowering base notes, and I think the problem is a low battery in my guitar. The "low battery" light is on, but I ignored it. I hope that's what the problem is, anyway. Unfortunately, I have to change the strings to get to the battery, which as I've mentioned before is a tremondously annoying feature of this otherwise enjoyable guitar. I'll post a followup video at some point. I've made a pledge to myself not to try learning any new songs until I've gone back and re-learned or re-tooled all or most of the other songs I've worked on since joining TG. This will take several weeks, if not longer, I'd imagine. I noted recently that songs I new several months ago, but haven't played recently, need to be refreshed in my memory.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic