Freight Train- Suziko

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:33 pm

This is an American folk song written by a woman named Elizabeth Cotten, though I'm playing a much simpler version than the one she plays. Maybe after I've been playing for 50 years I'll be able to play it the way she did.

I had never heard this song until I started to play guitar, at which point it was one of the first song for which I learned to pick out the melody. I've wanted to learn to play it as a Travis picking-style song for a while, and only dared to give it a go recently. I've been working on it for about 2 weeks. This version is not perfect, but I gave up trying to play it perfectly for a video (not that I usually can even when not filming it!) The song has 3 verses, so I decided I'd play it through 3 times, leaving the bass run out of the 2nd verse for some variety. I also adapted the F chord for my version. The TAB I had recommended playing the low F with your thumb wrapped over the top of the neck. I decided to try to play it as a full barre instead. I don't always hit it perfectly, but I'll get there.

This is a work in progress, but I figured I'd show you all where I'm at with it. Maybe I'll post an update in a few months.

Here's Elizabeth Cotten herself playing it with Pete Seeger:

Lyrics:

Freight train, Freight train, run so fast
Freight train, Freight train, run so fast
Please don't tell what train I'm on
They won't know what route I've gone.

When I am dead and in my grave
No more good times here I crave
Place the stones at my head and feet
Tell them all that I've gone to sleep.

When I die, Lord, bury me deep
Way down on old Chestnut street
Then I can hear old Number 9
As she comes rolling by.

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Lol I was on YT and this popped up. Well done nice smile at 1.05 and you kept going cool. Nicely done now play it like Elizabeth upside down back to front lol.

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Maybe when I'm her age, Chas! All I can say is, that woman is an inspiration to me!

Thanks, Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Very nice indeed Suzi... watched it on youtube as you were loading. You are getting better and better and all that practice time is shining through! Pizza for you, Sue!

BigBear

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Suzi- Great start! I'd heard this song for years but never actually saw it played. Did you notice that she is left handed and playes the guitar upside down? No one does that! They always reverse the strings. I can't even fathom playing a guitar this way but she does it wonderfully.

Your version is true to hers! Keep at it and post another video in the future!

Cheers! :cheer:

dekotaj

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Suziko,Wow!Great.A much simpler version than the one she plays?It sure sounds just the way she plays it.I started this song last night.And I can only hope in two weeks I can come close to playing this song that good.Im going to cheat a little though and capo on the third.Great post love this song.

Kevin

P.S.You guys type to darn fast.no one had replied when I started typing.Now three people before me.how many more be fore i can editing this.O well great job suz.

Ok people slow down,Chris has done cotten jenny?Darn,I really love that song.So i guess i better quit editing a go check it out.

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:46 pm

And I saw YOUR vid pop up on YT, Chris. Funny coincidence that I uploaded a video by Elizabeth Cotten, just as you uploaded "Cotten Jenny." I can't wait to watch yours- a favorite GL song of mine.

Thanks for the pizza. Nom nom nom.

Suzi

MarkM

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Yea, Yea, wistle, whistle, clap, clap, clap!!!!! Suzi that was really very good. I totally enjoyed it!! I really like that type of music. So simple but elegant. I like the bluesy runs that were in it. You have developed to a pretty good fingerpicker in such a short amount of time. I must applaud your patience in something that I just don't have at the moment. Great job!!

MarkM

tovo

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 pm

Suzi when you walked backward after turning on the camera I thought you were going to miss the chair! That would have been nowhere near as elegant as your playing...that was a nice term Mark used and very appropriate. Obviously one you are still working on, but very nice indeed. Kudos for posting this lovely work in progress...look forward to the next post on it.

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Bear- I had read that, about her learning to play upside down. She is really an inspiration, which is a big part of why I wanted to do this song.

Dekotaj- Having seen the way you play, I think in two DAYS you'll play this song as well as me. Her version sounds a lot more complicated when I listen to it (more hammer-ons for example), but maybe it's also just that she plays it lightning-fast.

MarkM- Thanks- I, too, love this kind of music. This song has been a real joy to learn. I have a lot of work to do to get it perfect, but it's fun work, at least.

Tony- Funny that you should mention that, because I worry about that happening every time I film one of these videos. As long as I don't crush my guitar, I don't care. I've enjoyed seeing other people (like you) post "progress-videos", so I figured I could do something of that sort with this song. Maybe in a month I'll have it down perfectly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic