Freight Train- Suziko

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Willem- you did such a nice job with "Blackbird" that I'm sure you could play this perfectly.

Thanks!

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Bill- it's an incredibly catchy song!! You should hear my seven year old singing it with her best Elizabeth Cotten-style voice. I should have had her accompanying me on vocals!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

You should hear my seven year old singing it with her best Elizabeth Cotten-style voice. I should have had her accompanying me on vocals!
...oh Suzi, you HAVE to do that! you'll treasure that recording for EVER!

michelew

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Suzi that was Great! - I loved it flubs and all! Besides speed, it sounds pretty similar to Elizabeth's version to me (wow - you're right about her being an inspiration - talk about working with what you've got).

The rhythm was steady, the melody was clear and gorgeous, the picking looked effortless (which I know it isn't), the bass runs were really cool!, you just played through the flubs (loved the smiles) and it was entertaining to boot. I'm sure the next version will floor us, but I loved this version.

And I loved the smiley face at the end too!

Tell me do you reckon you can fit a harmonic solo in there next time??

Thanks

Michele

michelew

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:13 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
You should hear my seven year old singing it with her best Elizabeth Cotten-style voice. I should have had her accompanying me on vocals!
...oh Suzi, you HAVE to do that! you'll treasure that recording for EVER!

Yes, yes, yes, yes.... I second, third, fourth, and fifth that suggestion. That would be the best!

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Chris and Michele- I'll see if I can convince Emma to do a "sing-along" with me. She tends to get bashful when the spotlight is on her (hmmmmmm... who could she have gotten that from?) but it really is pretty funny.

Michele- Thank you for everything you said. I would have loved to have posted a "flub-free" version, but I just couldn't make it happen. Part of it is that playing it through 3 times was tiring on my fingers, so I mess up more as the song progresses. Ah well. With time, I'll get better. This song is really fun to play- you should try your hand at it!

michelew

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:31 pm

The only reason I mentioned any flubs was because you mentioned them so many times - so it was just by way of saying 'no need for a flub free-version'. I absolutely get how frustrating it is to get the evasive 'perfect'-cut. I haven't achieved it yet. And I though your post was great.

SO about that harmonic solo....

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Don't worry, Michele, I didn't think you were trying to rub in how many flubs there are! :) I told Dennis that I'd rather post a song that has flubs but was a challenge for me to play, than a song that is perfect because it was easy to play. It's more rewarding for me, and I think more fun for people to watch. Plus, it makes everyone else feel better about their own flubs ;)

I tell you what, maybe a year from now I'll repost this song WITH harmonica solo! 'Cos, really, what song ISN'T improved by a harmonica solo?

michelew

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Now there's the response I'm lookin' for.

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:41 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Holly Cow MJ! There's a song you DON'T know!! And it's Freight Train: How bizarre is that! :-) That is so funny.

I'm using the same camera but uploading with a lower resolution (because it tells me too!) but next time I'll upload the full Monty as Suzi's quality is much better. Great camera!
The folks on this site have been great in broadening my musical tastes. Many by their own renditions, which are wonderful! It is absolutely amazing how much music is out there, and how much more is waiting to be made......

I am liking the results from both you and Suzi with the Kodak camera. I am feeling a purchase coming on......maybe I can justify it if it is not actually a "Guitar", and can be used for other things as well......

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic