Cotton Jenny / Gordon Lightfoot by neverfoundthetime

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 pm

This was recorded "between the years" as the German expression will have it, at the Summer Wine Recording Session with Alessandra on camera. Folks, it's so much easier to have someone on camera and someone to sing to, really recommend it. Anyway, this is a lovely Gordon Lightfoot song which is really simple to play, real camp fire material, - just 3 chords G, C, D and an A and a simple rhythm with plenty of possibilities for embellishments for those so inclined (and more skilled than me!). I thought it might remind a few of you about this little gem from that great Canadian. Please note my Canadian maple leaf guitar strap in honour!

This is played a little up-tempo. This happens with all my slower songs, if anyone can tell me why, I'd really appreciate it!

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Chris, I love it! And I plan to add this to my repetoire starting tonight. Just have to print out he lyrics and pencil in the chords. Are you mostly just playing bass, DUDUDU?

I loved the "Yeehaw!" at the end!

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:34 pm

You did a good job on this Chris, I shot over to YT and looked up a Gordon Lightfoot vid and the guy playing the electric accompanying him is flatpicking over the same chords like a maniac. I have the GL Anthology Tab book and it has the tab for the electric part, not on my agenda for sometime methinks.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Thank you kindly m'am! Yeah, Suzi, Ale was in with the Yeehaa! there ;-). Fun times to do music with your child! Alternating bass on the C and D chord, on the G I just keep hitting the E string. You have to post it when you're done... and SING! :-)

Thanks Chas. You guys lurking youtube don't miss a thing! :-)

suziko

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the tips- I can't wait to give it a try! As for singing, well, never say never.....

MarkM

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Chris now that was fun!!! Back that up with Love is a Rose and we can have a ho-down!! Everything sounded great. You have a nice soft approach to the strumming on this song which suits it fantastically. We should all be blessed with that singing voice of yours. Really well done!!

MarkM

dennisg

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Terrific job, Chris. Very smooth strumming. And I love the sound of your 12-string. As always, your voice is perfect.

Very professional yeehaw at the end. I'd get a hernia trying that.

haoli25

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Another great job Chris. As a longtime Lightfoot fan, I think he would be very pleased with that cover. The "YEEHAW" at the end was perfect!!!
Thank you so much for posting your video. Bravo!

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks Mark... a ho down sounds good to me... get the wood burning!

Thanks Dennis, Ale was doing the Yeeehaa so it saved me the hernia!

Bill, thank you for the clapping hands.... I am a big fan of Gord's and that is a sweet little song!

michelew

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:27 pm

That was a very fun, cute song. I've never heard it before. The 'yeeha' was perfect - though you should try to coax Miss Ale in front of the camera a bit more. Your playing is soooo smooth! I must checkout Lightfoot's stuff. BTW - the fruit bowl bubble cracked me up.

Thanks.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic