A litllebit ''heart of gold''- Willem

AndyT

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I listened to the lesson play through and then Willems back to back. He plays the chords and everything well, but there is something he has added that does not sound like it belongs then. Either its out of time or its too much for that spot.

Lavallee

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:27 am

Hi Willem, that was a very good video, you have a good strumming and the chords changing are so much smoother. I agree with Bear and Chas about the intro (extra strumming berween the D and the Em) and the palm muting.

Marc

willem

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 am

Well thanks again for some support,,, i jump my practise on the intro(timing) included the Em7(i did'nt,, played only a Em), and skip one bass/run at the end of the verse...thanks.

sws626

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi Willem,

I've been thinking about what Bear, Andy and Chas said and had a listen to Harvest Moon this morning to refresh my memory.

Bear is absolutely right about the primacy of timing in Neil Young songs. Another thing to watch for is the dynamics. As Chas noted, the Em7 starts off muted, builds on the middle strings, and then gets louder as the high strings are brought in -- at least that's how I hear it. The bass run after the transition from D to Em is rather soft. I can't really tell whether there is a pause before the bass run or a faint upstroke, but I'm playing it more or less as Chas described.

I've tried to capture some of this in the attached file. You can ignore most of it as I don't really know the song, but maybe the Em7-D-Em bit will be helpful.

Stuart

p.s. Hope you don't mind that I post this video to your thread. I made it just to see if I could help figure out what was going on with the timing in your intro.

[video][/video]

willem

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Stuart, i must thank you for this, i apprecait this very much and we can use this has a strum a long,, i must confess that i know about to start with muted strings and build it out to the middle strings and get louder at the higher strings,, but to do this in time and with the just dynamics is probely difficult,, but practise now with or on this.
I think that many students have something at this vid of yours,,,thanks...

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:19 pm

sws626 wrote:
Hi Willem,

I've been thinking about what Bear, Andy and Chas said and had a listen to Harvest Moon this morning to refresh my memory.

Bear is absolutely right about the primacy of timing in Neil Young songs. Another thing to watch for is the dynamics. As Chas noted, the Em7 starts off muted, builds on the middle strings, and then gets louder as the high strings are brought in -- at least that's how I hear it. The bass run after the transition from D to Em is rather soft. I can't really tell whether there is a pause before the bass run or a faint upstroke, but I'm playing it more or less as Chas described.

I've tried to capture some of this in the attached file. You can ignore most of it as I don't really know the song, but maybe the Em7-D-Em bit will be helpful.

Stuart

p.s. Hope you don't mind that I post this video to your thread. I made it just to see if I could help figure out what was going on with the timing in your intro.
What a good idea Stuart posting an example of whats being discussed, tells it better than words.

Good on ya mate!

Chas

AcousticAl

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks for posting this, Willem. I think everyone else had it covered while I was away. I look forward to your next update.

willem

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks Al,,the intro was a problem,,, but Neil discused it in the liveshow last saterday,, so i think that's coming alright..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic