The Loner/Cinnamon Girl - MarkM

wrench

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Mark,

OK, they weren't perfect, but I really enjoyed 'em both. I too am a big fan of Neil Young in Double Drop D. There is really something about that tuning that just reaches into my soul, and I can see that's true for you, too.

I plan to soon post a follow up to my post of The Loner, but between your skills and your Taylor, I expect your follow up to be formidable.

Good job. Pizza points to you.

wrench

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:14 pm

Good job mate, I'm a big fan of Neil Young and your efforts were very credible. With Cinnamon Girl though i'd lose the slide from F5 to G5 in both riff A and B, IMO the straight barre on both as Neil teaches is close to the original. I'm impressed that you could remember all of that, me no chance lol

Good on ya mate keep the Neil Young coming.

Lavallee

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 am

Hi Mark, your guitar touch is improving a lot. I think the Loner sounds really good. I agree with Chas about the bar chords in Cinnamon girl. I actually felt that the bass effect from the drop D is quite minimal when you only hit one string in the riff. It think that the strumming should be pounded and the bar allow you to emphasize that.

By the way I really like the sound of your guitar, it sounds full body with a pick.

Marc

jayswett

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:15 am

I am enjoying your journey through Neil Young's career. My favorite video of yours remains Natural Beauty, followed closely by Love is a Rose. Keep up the good work.

willem

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:35 am

Pfffffff,,MarkM ---only this...........I wich i.......!!!!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 am

Great jammin' Mark....love a good double drop D! I hear you about changing the tuning back....I have to do it with 12 strings! Pizza to you!

RicksPick

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 am

Hello Mark

Two songs together
Wow that's some going dude
Well done

RicksPick

MarkM

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:22 am

Wrench - Thanks. I know how you feel about the sound of this tuning. Great stuff.

Chas - Thanks. I see what you mean about the slide. If I'm doing it it is unintentional. I try to deaden the strings before I move up the neck. Simple way to fix that is with the index to ring finger hammeron. Good pick up.

Marc - Thank you. Agreed. I was so beat up when I got to this take I was getting real sloppy. I'll clean it up and get all the strings ringing.

Jay - as always thank you. Yup that Natural Beauty is my favorite as well. I'm working on trying to sing that so that maybe I can get a new one up here. Still need pointers on the Chorus though.

Willem - Thank you. Now I have to work on a version of Heart of Gold as you did.

Chris - I'd love to get a 12 string but I wouldn't even think about alternate tunings on that one. I bet Heart of Gold would sound great on that.

RicksPick - I should have done the them as individual songs. After a nights rest I just went through The Loaner again and it sounds a bit better. The more I watch the video the more I realized I should have waited and done a better job. It sounds pretty bad. Too many mistakes.

MarkM

dennisg

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 am

Mark,

I can tell that you weren't thrilled with your performance, but I have to say that if the rest of us wood-choppers played like that, we'd be thrilled.

As you know, I love your playing. I really enjoy how you attack the strings, but always in a very controlled and mostly precise way.

Thanks for the EP.

beaker

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Mark,
nice medley of tunes, that is ambitious. They sound great, the minor flubs will be ironed out very soon I am sure. Now I have to catch up and get on those ones too! Have fun, Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic