The Loner/Cinnamon Girl - MarkM

MarkM

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Why did I pick this to post? At this moment I have no idea!!! I've been in Double drop D tuning all week since this past Sunday when I did Natural Beauty. Went away for a few days for work and came back to the same tuning. I figured since I was lazy and not wanting to change the tuning I'd do a few more songs. I started with Cinnamon Girl two days ago and after a day it was coming along real well. Yesterday I started The Loner. Mostly becuase I've always loved the song. So today I get the bright idea to put them together as Neil Young has done from time to time. Big mistake. Now I couldn't get either of them to work. I'd be doing The Loner and then thinking of Cinnamon Girl. UGH!!! It was frustrating. I blew my afternoon doing this and needed to get something posted so I felt like I accomplished something. So here it is with all its warts. I was getting real tired and my concentration went out the window a few times as I was daydreaming while playing. You'll know exactly where when you see it. It's pretty rough. I'm trying to slow it down as I like ths slower versions of the song.

MarkM

tovo

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey Mark...I've got Albums that don't go that long mate!

It was cool though, you have a really relaxed strumming style and you seem pretty comfortable up the neck. It was like evesdropping on a 1 man jam session, very cool. Sure some of the chords could be a bit cleaner and will be with more practice, but I sure enjoyed listening to it...all of it by the way. I notice your thumb sits on top of the neck...do you often use it for the low E? I suspect you do. Again, I think that your overall hand position seems really good, certainly space between your palm and the neck so I don't think the thumb is a problem, just something I noticed. I reckon it's a good afternoon's work...sure beats what I'm doing at the moment! Good one mate. Thanks for posting.

MarkM

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks Tony. Yeah it was a bit long. Hey Two songs right. My hand position really should be cleaned up. What I should have been doing this afternoon was work. I have a home office that turned into a recording studio today. I just couldn't put it down today. I really wanted to get this out. Just wish I did a better job.

MarkM

BobR

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi Mark,

That was interesting. For the most part I thought it was really good because I too like those songs and I know what you mean about the double dropped D. You need to do all the songs before changing your tuning. You stuttered a few times but you knew that. I was waiting for cinnamon girl to kick in and you didn't disappoint me. Not too many warts. You're doing a medley of songs.

Good Job
Bob

Craig

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Hey Mark,
I'm really glad that you chose the double drop D tuning songs. I've always liked that sound but for some reason never get around to doing any. You've inspired me to give them a go. Thanks and good work.
Craig

pbraun

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 pm

I thought it was great. Way past my skills, too many bar chords but it is on my to learn list. Great job!
Pete

tovo

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

MarkM wrote:
Thanks Tony. Yeah it was a bit long. Hey Two songs right. My hand position really should be cleaned up. What I should have been doing this afternoon was work. I have a home office that turned into a recording studio today. I just couldn't put it down today. I really wanted to get this out. Just wish I did a better job.

MarkM
It wasn't too long at all mate, I was kidding. Rest assured I'll NEVER seriously have a shot at anyone here...unless they REALLY deserve it. In my time we have only had a couple of really rude individuals and guess what? They ain't here anymore! So post 30 minutes if you like mate, I was serious when I said I watched it all and enjoyed it as well. Good stuff.

AndyT

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:27 pm

I especially like the part where you went Argghh..
Just add more light and you're good to go.

MarkM

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks All!!

Pete - Thanks. For the longest time I didn't think I could play this as well. The barre chords aren't bad as they are up the neck a bit. If I can do this with a few days of practice you'll get it I'm sure.

Craig - Thanks. Yeah I really like the double drop D as well. Has a great sound. I'd like to learn Daylight Again by CSN&Y as well. Try it out. You'll like it. Now I need to explain to my wife why I need another guitar so I can keep on in this tuning.

Bob - Thanks. Yup I need to get as many of these songs in now while I still have it tuned this way. I lost concentration and got lost in the song a few times. Don't know what I was thinking.

Tony - It's all good. I knew you wern't giving me any shots. It is a bit long though. Thanks!! Your support is always good to have. Now I have to get to work on a quick Heart of Gold. Hopefully I can get it in on time.

MarkM

MarkM

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:32 pm

AndyT wrote:
I especially like the part where you went Argghh..
Just add more light and you're good to go.

Thanks Andy. I'm in desperate need of another light in that room. I'll get one shortly. Not that you need to see my face though.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic