Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Here is Hey Joe
Sorry about quality (Grainy)
C'mon guys n gals comments and suggestions welcome

RicksPick

MarkM

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:09 pm

RicksPick,

clap,clap,clap...... Well done man. Got it going on in my brian now.

Hey Joe where you goin' with that gun in your hand.......

Sweet. Nice steady strumming. I like what you did up the neck. You got it down cold. To change it up try some palm mutting and some hammerons on A and D chords.....

Really well done. Now I'll have this song going on for the rest of the evening.......... :) :)

You know I caught my old lady messin' around town.....

MarkM

BigBear

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey Rick! Nice job! Some really positive stuff; your left hand position was excellent, low and comfortable. Your chord changes were smooth and really clear (due to your good hand position).

Some opportunities. This song, written by Billy Roberts and made famous by the The Leaves, Tim Rose, The Surfaris and others (like David Crosby), can either be played as an upbeat song like these bands did it. Or it can be a slower, more soulful, bluesy tune like Jimi Handrix did. Either way, the empahsis is ALWAYS on the first beat of the measure. You can't use the steady, relatively non-descript strumming you did and get the "Hey Joe Effect".

While your left hand looked great, your right hand is wild. I didn't see any attempt to hit the correct bass note with any of the chords. You can almost get away with that in the fast versions but not with the Jimi version. Check out the bass and downstrokes in this original classic version:

I guess what I'm saying is your version needs some feeling. And feeling comes from timing.

I hope this helps a little and please accept this feedback in the positive way I intend it. You did a really nice job. Now make it a great performance!

Cheers buddy! :cheer:

d_dog

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Great job man, I'll agree with the other comments, great loose strumming hand and excellent fingering work. Add some rhythm breaks, palm muting, single not strikes, etc. and soul, and you are the tops man, you've got all the hard technical parts done it seems like. Looking forward to seeing more.

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm

I agree with Bear in so many ways you've got the chords and the playing up the neck, good transition to the barres at about 2.25??. Now get the emphasis on the first beat and feel the blues man:

Props for the effort though. I am another that this song will be going round and round in my head all day...

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey Rick, great going and nice strumming here. Cool sound. The boys have chimed in with the relevant tips already so I'll just lead on the cheering! Great job. Keep the vids coming Rick!

RicksPick

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks Mark And Bear

Will try your advice

I always enjoy/appreciate your advice Bear
Wild Hand Rick lol

I'm not the type to take something the wrong way
I take all advice on board as i see it myself
It's just finding that feeling
I can learn the notes, chords but struggle with the feel
I will work hard to incorporate both comments

RicksPick

haoli25

Great job Rick. I really liked that! Any suggestions that I had have already been covered. I think you are well on your way. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

AndyT

Rick,

At 58 seconds in, you change to a different voicing of a chord but it sounds a bit off. Which chord is that?

And like Bear said, I also prefer the strong downbeat on beat 1 and skipping 2. More like: 1 3 4+

Other than that, Good job! For posting, you get lunch!

RicksPick

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Hey you snuck in there

Chas thanks for the comment and for the link will watch that lot
Thanks

Dog thanks man

Bill thanks man

Chris thanks man

Andy I tried a few different strums not alot of diff between them tho'
58 secs in (C) err prob not to clean a chord will check
Thanks flup now ta

RicksPick