American Pie - D_Dog

dennisg

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:42 pm

suziko wrote:
Dennis and Nick,

"Most despised of all songs?" Maybe by you two!!
Believe me, I'm not asserting that anyone else should despise it. Not everyone was around when this song was released and heard it as many times as I did.

dennisg

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:49 pm

What he said...

I do understand that I am in the vast minority when it comes to this song.

But it wasn't my intention to hijack the thread. D_Dog does an excellent job on this one.

d_dog

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Thank you all so very much for bestowing upon me this great honor. :laugh:
"You like me, you really like me!"
Seriously though, I am literally laughing at these posts, I think the modern phrase is LMFAO, I love this place! You guys are the greatest. Dennis, I am humbled and honored. I actually do hear where you're coming from, I was only 2 years old when it came out but remember it playing constantly well into my childhood, had I been a bit older, I'm sure I'd feel the way you do. I think we've all experienced this feeling in more recent times as well.
I'm very appreciative of the tips and pointers too, I haven't re-visited this song in a while but plan to take those arpeggio tips into practice, and the vocals too. I probably won't re-post though, as I just can't bear to subject Dennis to this song for the 13,427th time. ;)

BigBear

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Yeh, Don Mclean is laughing all the way to the bank everytime this "terrible" songs gets played! I wish I could write terrible songs like this one! lol! :laugh:

mark

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

He may be laughing, but it's a cruel and vindictive laugh I'm sure

dennisg

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:00 pm

BigBear wrote:
Yeh, Don Mclean is laughing all the way to the bank everytime this "terrible" songs gets played! I wish I could write terrible songs like this one! lol! :laugh:
I don't recall anyone saying his song is terrible. Just that it was over-played.

tovo

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Good job Dog. Well done also for launching right in there with some videos.

willem

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:18 am

Damain..dog,thanks for reminding me to this song,,i go not in it but you did a fine job there,,,looking forwards to the update with arpeggios and the sit straight up singing, i think it's worth it....cheeeeeeesssee

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:28 am

dennisg wrote:
Not everyone was around when this song was released and heard it as many times as I did.
Dennis:

Although I do like this song (I was very young when this song came out and did not listen to the radio much), I hear you about songs being overplayed. Can certainly ruin an otherwise great song. Living here in Ventura, CA, can do that very thing. I think we have the WORST radio stations in all of the US! If a song is new, you can bet on it being played at least twice every hour on every station. Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you liked D_Dog's rendition though, I think he nailed it. Keep up the good work Dog!

MJ

dennisg

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Not everyone was around when this song was released and heard it as many times as I did.
Dennis:

Although I do like this song (I was very young when this song came out and did not listen to the radio much), I hear you about songs being overplayed. Can certainly ruin an otherwise great song. Living here in Ventura, CA, can do that very thing. I think we have the WORST radio stations in all of the US! If a song is new, you can bet on it being played at least twice every hour on every station. Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you liked D_Dog's rendition though, I think he nailed it. Keep up the good work Dog!

MJ
MJ, I couldn't agree more. There are a few songs like American Pie that were simply destroyed by L.A. radio stations. I doubt that things have changed much: when a song becomes popular, it's in a station's rotation every hour. For example, there's a relatively new song called Uprising by the band Muse. I love the song, and I had to stop listening to the radio so the song wouldn't get screwed up in my head. The lazy and awful playlists of most radio stations is exactly the reason why I listen to Radio Paradise on the 'net. It's great eclectic rock.

Sorry, Damian. Didn't mean to highjack your thread with my troubles.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic