Brain Damage - Craig (the song, not me!)

Craig

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:30 am

Well, here I am with my first video posting. It's Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage". I played it on my nylon string guitar, which probably isn't the best choice for this song. I only played the first verse and first chorus thinking that would be enough to get the idea.

Of course I'm open to feedback and suggestions, that's the whole point isn't it?

THANK YOU I want to thank all of the TARGET communtity for encouraging me and inspiring me to do this. I've always been pretty self-conscience about my abilities so this is a HUGE leap for me.

P.S. The look on my face at the end of the video is a unique combination of nerveousness and relief! lol :woohoo:

Craig

AndyT

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:39 am

Craig,

Really nice job. You stopped a couple of times to change chords and thats a major No-No in Neil's book. Other than that, I think it was mostly camera nerves.

BigBear

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:19 am

Craig- really nice job on a great PF song! Your left hand position was good but your right hand position needs to point down more. You want to pick the strings more head-on and not at an angle.

Your timing is off a little bit. The first beat of the measure (the bass note) is emphasized and sets the tone for the rest of the picking pattern. It is not a steady, even pattern.

You are really close to having this song nailed! Like Andy mentioned work on your chord changes and timing and I'll bet your next video is almost perfect!

Thanks for sharing that video and good job! :cheer:

RicksPick

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:55 am

Hi Craig

Nice left hand position
Im too working on the right
My only other sugestion would be a strap
Its helped quite a few of us with
Holding the guitar in a better position
i.e. neck up more.

Congrats on your first post
welcome to the club
It does get easier
then you will want to do more vid's

RicksPick

dennisg

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 am

Craig,

Very nice job. Congrats on having the courage to upload a video of yourself.

Take Bear's comments to heart, and you'll be a better player.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 am

Congratulations Craig on joining the video poster's club. This is a small step for mankind but a giant leap for a man! Eh? Well done! Each video from now on in will be more fun and more relaxed. Great to see someone else playing a nylon string, the sound is just fine for this song I also play this on nylon and not on steel. Plugged into a little effects device, it could be more fun too.

How about using a metronome to slow it down a little. These Pink Floyd songs are way slower than they sound in our heads (play along with the original and you'll see what I mean). I remember Roger Waters saying that on Dark Side of the Moon, that the effect of just leaving space between notes was really important to him and the whole sound of the album. When you slow it down it will become smoother. Then it will sound really great.

dekotaj

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:07 am

Hey Craig,The first is alway the hardest.Keep up the good work. I like it on a nylon string guitar,sounded good to me.

Kevin

Lavallee

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:15 am

Hi Craig, congratulation for that first post. In your fingerpicking pattern, it seems that you are hitting 3 notes with your thumb in sequenece before you hit the first string which gives an emphasis on the base rather than the melody. If you look at the pattern that Neil suggest it is like a Travis pattern which means that you have to pinch a base note and a high note together when you change chords.

Great post

Marc

MarkM

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:21 am

Craig,

Thanks for posting. Yup the first one is always the hardest. You'll get the bug soon and won't be able to wait to post the next one. The guitar sounded very good. I don't have much else to add as the others have said it all already. Good job. I have much difficulty with this one so you're well ahead of me on this.

MarkM

haoli25

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:31 am

Craig, my friend, you are doing fine. As anyone here will tell you, it gets smoother with practice. We have all been there. You are light years ahead of me when I was just starting out. Stay with it!

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic