Brain Damage - Craig (the song, not me!)

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 am

Great job Craig, and welcome to the posters' club. I pretty much agree with the others' comments, and I won't bother to repeat them EXCEPT Andy's comment about stopping to change chords, which gives rise to its evil offspring the left hand waiting for the right. I find that avoiding these bad habits requires constant vigilance.

A fantastic first post, and I'm looking forward to your future posts. Pizza points for you!

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 am

Hey Craig!

Nice job on a fairly tough song. The others have already given some good advice, so I'll just say that you should be proud of yourself for getting a video up and for doing such a good job. It only gets better from here my friend!

MJ

AcousticAl

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:42 am

Congrats on your first video upload! Not an easy song to start with either. Others have mentioned this-- you seem to have changed the picking pattern. I'd have another look at Neil's lesson to nail it down. Also, if you're interested, Neil put a video response up to my upload of this song. There might be some info/advice that you find helpful in there as well.

Craig

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks to all for your encouragement and suggestions, I really appreciate it! That's what makes this site so incredible. I've committed (to myself) to go through ALL of Neil's Acoustic Genius Series, one by one, and practice practice practice. Hopefully you will see some improvement in a second post, and hopefully I can lose some of the nervousness in the next effort! :)
Thanks again,
Craig

BobR

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Craig,

Very well done. The nylon strings sounded fine. Like others have said timing is off a little but thought you did a real good job. Now the first one's out of the way we'll wait for the next post.

Keep up the god work

BOb

tovo

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey Craig way to go mate. Well done.

You know there's yet another learning tool here. I watched your video intently and formed my opinion (my primary opinion was that it was a really good effort and kudos for posting it so early in your time here) on how it could be improved. I felt the timing was a bit off, then I read all the comments from more experienced players to see if my impression was shared and picked up the picking pattern. That's great learning right there.

My point is that we can learn a lot from every video post, not just our own.

OK is that a bit of a hijack? I don't think so. Again, well done mate.

wammer

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Bravo Craig

I am in no position to give advise so I will just give my opinion For whats worth hahahahahah
Great job on your first Video pretty sure you played it waaaaaaaaay better before the camera turned on LMAO we've all been there. Job well done

Tammy

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Good post Craig, only thing I can add is to repeat good advice I read in the TG forum: the more you play in front of your camera/webcam, the more confident you will be. Funny how the recording stresses us out.

I've found it interesting lately to do this repeatedly, without the intention of posting the video. We can learn a lot from seeing ourselves try to play the same thing 101 times.

Pierre

d_dog

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:02 am

Great post Craig! I had forgotten all about that song. You did great! Welcome to the video posters club. I assume you're working hard on this one still so I'll save any comments for the next go round.
Congrats man!

jayswett

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:09 am

Loved it. You look to be very comfortable strumming, and the fingerpicking component will come along in no time. This song is one I come back to all the time. If I'm struggling with a song, I'll suddenly start playing this one to boost my confidence a bit. Very nicely done. I hope you post more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic