Tribute to Lonnie Johnson

dennisg

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Mark,

Fantastic video! When Michele starts going on about exclamation points, you know you've done something right. She's very selective about her use of punctuation. Anyway, I loved your work, and it shows a real maturity in your playing.

karl01

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Very Nice

Karl

AcousticAl

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Bends, slides, hammers, finger rolls- you nailed them all!

A pleasure to watch and listen to.

BigBear

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 pm

Mark- I have run out of superlatives to describe your playing. You are clearly on a different level than most of us and it's really fun to watch, and admire.

Thanks for your amazing videos. I look forward to the next one!! Well done my friend! :cheer:

Hydroman52

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Mighty fine . . . . mighty fine.

Lavallee

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Mark, I thougth it was such a great performance. You have put so much feeling in your play. It is really enjoyable to listen.

Marc

mark

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thanks very much for all your great comments. You mut be the best audience ever.

Please bear in mind that I have been plugging away trying to play the guitar for over 20 years. Believe me, I was hiding behind the door when they were handing out musical talent. What I have had though, is a bloody minded stuborness to just keep going at it and not give up.

Of course you only see the good takes and not the train wrecks and you only see what I can play and not all things I can't.

Most of you are much earlier in your guitar learning and I have to say most of you are way ahead of where I was at the same stage. After 2 years of playing all I could play were a few open chords.

Neil's teaching is streets ahead of anything I have seen elsewhere and what I have learnt here has enabled me to go back to all the songs I have tried to learn before and learn them properly.

mark

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:01 pm

d_dog wrote:
You gotta love the blues! The music that is, not actually having the blues. Mark that was way cool. I could hear the minor pentatonic and major scales in there (I think) I just couldn't pick out what key specifically. What scale patterns is that based on and what key? If I had to guess I'd say B minor pentatonic and B major.
The song is in the key of D.
With the song played in Dropped D tuning that leads most songs in that tuning to be in D.
Most of notes in there are D Blues scale but also playing the notes around chord shapes.

mark

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:04 pm

waggis wrote:
EXCELLENT job with that Fahey tune! I really enjoyed listening to it as I am also a big fan of his.

David
Hi David
It's actually by Stefan Grossman but it's about John Fahey.
Somehow its got two titles

"tribute to Lonnie Johnson" and "the assissination of John Fahey"

It seems they didn't always get on that well.

mark

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:06 pm

dekotaj wrote:
WoW!! Mark what a great song.And you played it like no buddies business.Man that's way people join sites like this,to be able to play like that.I cant say enough about that performance.

BRAVO!!
BRAVO!!
BRAVO!!

Mark if you got more like that put them up I could lesson to that all day.

Kevin

P.S.If you like the blues.Maybe youll like this?

yes I've seen him on You Tube before.
He's one good guitar player

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic