Girl - The Beatles - D_Dog

d_dog

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 pm

dennisg wrote:
As always, Damian, I enjoyed your post. I'm pretty familiar with the song, and I think there's some wrong chords in there. Not your fault. Those were the chords that were handed to you. But I'll have to check and get back to you on this.

One suggestion I can make, and it has nothing to do with your guitar playing, is this: the phrasing of your singing is always right on the downbeat. You can make the song a lot more interesting by working between the beats, which is what John does.

But I love your post. Keep up the great work.
Thank you very much Dennis for your comments. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the chords are not right. Let me know what you find out. Someone, Cosmic I think, ask about the chords. I think I'll wait to post them in case you come up with some changes.
As for the singing, after listening to the original more closely, I see what you mean, it's subtle but it's really the key. I think my flawed strumming pattern is causing a lot of that, not to mention how hard it is to sing in the off beats. ;) My singing definitely affects my guitar playing but it's important to me to do both, I enjoy both equally.

dekotaj

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:04 am

Great song by a great band and you did a great cover of it.Keep on posting.

BigBear

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:05 am

Great job Dog! This is another super tune off of Rubber Soul I think. What a great album! Michelle, Tovo's Song aka Norwegian Wood, I've Just Seen a Face, I'm Looking Through You and more. This album never got the acclaim it deserved.

You did it proud buddy! :cheer:

goldleaf

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:21 am

That was a sweet song and you played it well. I know what you mean about singing and playing. I tried to play Melissa and sing it like Neil did in the lesson, but I would either flub the singing (forget the words) or the guitar. I could do either one alone but together really makes it a lot more difficult. You did a great job & have a nice voice, especially for that range of song. Gary

wrench

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 am

Another stellar job d_dog. I'm with Bear on Rubber Soul - very high on my all time favorite list. I think you did a fine job on it. I'm not sure what you can do about the spacing at those higher frets other than playing on long scale length guitars, which most are. Your iPhone actually looked and sounded pretty good. It had a little tint from incandescent light, but otherwise pretty impressive.

Good job! Pizza points to ya'

wrench

pbraun

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 am

As it'seen said any Beatle song is great, especially the none top 10's. I've been working on Im only Sleeping. If I get it down I'll put it up. Great job on a really great song!
Pete

BobR

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 am

Dog,

Another great post. I really enjoy anything(mostly)from the Beatles. Your singing really adds a lot.

Great job

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 am

Great stuff D. Love it! How a bout a big breath in through the nose before "Ah Girl" bit.... always sound so cool. Now all you need is a second voice singing the Tit, tit, tit, tit, bit after "She's the kind of girl...".

I'm with Dan and Rick on Rubber Soul being the beat Beatles album.... together with with Revolver ... they were intended as a kind of double album before there were double albums.

NKenny

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Very nice Dog, good voice and guitar playing. That video you look a little like and remind me of John Lennon. Great job

Kenny

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm

neverfoundthetime said: How a bout a big breath in through the nose before "Ah Girl" bit.... always sound so cool.

Chris:
So that was a big breath in through the nose on the original recording?

I thought that in the early sixties they were taking big breaths in by the mouth, and that the big breaths through the nose actually started in the 70s :dry:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic