Work in Progress Heatndude - Blackbird

heatndude

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks for the pointers everyone, that was my first run at a video. I will change the camera angle and slow down. I dont know what to do about the sound but I will keep trying. I dont have finger nails for picking so I struggle with volume right now. I will post a updated version after somemore practice. MAtt, the guitar is a inexpensive Yamaha FG730X sounds good but would like something nicer when the time is right ! The guitar in the background is a Gibson Les Paul Plus Top in a see thru wine finish (that one sounds sweet)

Thanks again everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tom18

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:12 am

Congratulations Mark well done. No other comments to add except let us hear that Les Paul sometime! Thanks,
Tom
Former Badger

wrench

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:15 am

Hi Mark,

An excellent first post! You mentioned the guitar is an FG730X - does it have electronics? Plugging in and running directly to your computer would probably increase your volume. The only other tip I can add is to make sure your little finger lands closer to the fret more consistently. It certainly didn't hurt this video any, it sounded great, but it will help you down the road.

Great job, and welcome to the club.

Dan

suziko

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 am

Mark,

Nice job!! Everyone has already given you the advice I would have given you, so I'm just popping into say I enjoyed watching your version of Blackbird. It's coming along really nicely! Can't wait to see your updated version!

Suzi

heyjoe

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi Mark

Welcome to the video posting club, you've done a good job.
As a couple of others have said, slowing it down a bit may help, it sounds like an easy song to play- but as I realised when I learnt it, getting the timing right is..erm, challenging.

If you try playing the song with a metronome( there, I said it!), it'll smooth out your changes and you'll be surprised how much better it sounds.

Please don't take it as a criticism, as it's not meant that way, I learned the hard way! My version of this song without a metronome was horrendous timing wise, once I buckled down with the metronome, it got a lot better, a lot quicker.

Nice sounding guitar, I have an Yamaha APX500, yamahas are under-rated guitars

Joe

heatndude

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Hey Wrench thanks for tip. I do not have electronics in it but I do have a sound hole pick up coming. So I can plug that into my lap top, How ? I ordrerd it a couple weeks ago from Musicians Friend. I guess the mail in Wisconsin is slow ! Thaks agian for the encouragement from everyone !!!!!!!!

Mark

BobR

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi Mark,

Just saying welcome to the video posters club. Good job.

I just had a saddle pickup put in my Alvarez so I can plug directly into the computer. It seems to sound good to me, but I haven't posted since it was installed so we'll see next post.

Bob

wrench

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm

heatndude wrote:
Hey Wrench thanks for tip. I do not have electronics in it but I do have a sound hole pick up coming. So I can plug that into my lap top, How ? I ordrerd it a couple weeks ago from Musicians Friend. I guess the mail in Wisconsin is slow ! Thaks agian for the encouragement from everyone !!!!!!!!

Mark
If you ordered a passive soundhole pickup it may have a 1/8" mini-plug, and an extension cord with a 1/8" stereo adapter then goes into microphone input of your computer. If the pickup is passive, though, you might still have volume problems. You may need a preamp to boost the signal. I once got good results playing around with an effects pedal while waiting for a preamp. If the pickup is active, though, you won't have any such problem. Cable right from the pickup to the microphone input of the computer. If you have an amp, you can also go from pickup-amp-amp line out-computer. That way, you will be able to use the effects and line level features of the amp. Radio Shack has everything you need in the way of cables and adapters.

For recording purposes, don't overlook an inexpensive microphone. I love the results I'm getting with one, and prefer it to my soundhole pickup.

Dan

Lavallee

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 pm

heatndude wrote:
Thanks for the pointers everyone, that was my first run at a video. I will change the camera angle and slow down. I dont know what to do about the sound but I will keep trying. I dont have finger nails for picking so I struggle with volume right now. I will post a updated version after somemore practice. MAtt, the guitar is a inexpensive Yamaha FG730X sounds good but would like something nicer when the time is right ! The guitar in the background is a Gibson Les Paul Plus Top in a see thru wine finish (that one sounds sweet)

Thanks again everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heatndude, in your reply you mnetionned that you do not have finger nail on your thumb which you find the reason why your base sounds low in volume. For the little view that we can see your right hand(I know that you will change the angle), I think that your thumb is too parallel to the strings. If you would rotate your wrist a bit so that you palm is totally parallell to the strings, your thumb would have a better angle at the strings so that you could pluck the string rather than hitting them with the side of your thumb. Look at Neil's hand position when he fingerpicks in one of his lessons.

Marc

Hydroman52

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey Mark,

Good job on Blackbird. This is a nice one to throw another log on the fire and play and play and play. I have the same problem with volume and no fingernails. When I try to compensate and pluck the strings harder to increase volume, it usually winds up in disaster. Either ripped up nails and/or lots of mistakes. I really want to do the finger picking thing, but can only put up with so much pain. It may come down to gluing stuff to my fingers.

And so, once again, good Blackbird.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic