Drip #2 CSN&Y 4+20 - MarkM

Lavallee

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 pm

I think you did a great job Mark, you are going to get fingerpicking style in no time. I think it would help if you would take a chance and not look so much at your right hand, so that you can focus on the chords and keep them fluid. I know that if you do not look at your right hand you will hit plenty of bad strings, but very shortly you will improve in accuracy as your hand will adapt.

Marc

MarkM

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Lavallee wrote:
I think you did a great job Mark, you are going to get fingerpicking style in no time. I think it would help if you would take a chance and not look so much at your right hand, so that you can focus on the chords and keep them fluid. I know that if you do not look at your right hand you will hit plenty of bad strings, but very shortly you will improve in accuracy as your hand will adapt.

Marc

Marc,

Thanks. I couldn't agree more. In fact I was just doing some of that this evening after I posted this. Yeah I hit some bad notes but the pattern is becoming second nature (for this song anyway). Once the muscle memory kicks in I hope to concentrate more on my left hand and speed things up to tempo. I still want to grab that pick and strum away from time to time though. :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

jayswett

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:41 am

Sounds great. That fingerpicking pattern will become automatic for you very soon. In two weeks, if not sooner, you will be playing that song flawlessly.

mmmbldo

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi,

I don't have any instructive insights. I just wanted to congratulate you on a terrific first try at fingerpicking. Good going! :cheer:

MarkM

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Jay & mmmbldo,

Thanks for the support. Didn't get any time on it today as I was out on appointments all day. Hoping to get to it tomorrow and improve. My goal is to have a much more refined presentation of this song by the weekend as I'll be gone all next week. Wish me luck.......I'll need it.

MarkM

beaker

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 am

Mark, It is fine. fingerpicking is hard. Good on you for getting it going this much, in a couple of weeks, I am sure your fingers will be flying! Beaker.

MarkM

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Just added a few comments and an updated video for review. I'm trying to show improvement on this song as I've never "fingerpicked" before. It's slow going but I think its getting better. Hopefully anyway.

MarkM

mark

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi Mark

I think you have the finger picking pattern down but the chord changes are causing the timing to go wrong. There is a pause between each chord change.

We've all seen you strum and change chords with ease so I think it's just that you have to concentrate on the finger picking as well.

You could try slowing right down so that you can do the chord change and still get it on time.
You could also try playing the pattern over and over again on the same chord. Pretty boring but it may get the pattern ingrained before you try changing chords.

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:17 am

HI Mark, I agree with Mark (thats weird) but definite improvement on the first in such a short time is cool. Only advice is repeat repeat repeat.

Good on ya mate.

chas

MarkM

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:31 am

Mark/Chas,

Thanks and you are correct. Focused on smooth transitions between frets. Funny how I don't usually have that issue when strumming. This fingerpicking takes alot of getting used too. With this being the only song that I'm working on at the moment (still waiting for 2nd Suite: Judy Blue Eyes lesson) its all I'm playing at the moment. I must go through the song at least 50 times a day as the guitar is just sitting in my home office. Shhhhhhhhh. Not getting much work done. I will say that I'm quite enjoying the picking the more I play it. Never would have thought that. I'll continue to practice.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic