Drip #2 CSN&Y 4+20 - MarkM

MarkM

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Good afternoon, evening, morning, etc......

Well since I've been in this "Stills" tuning now for several days I've had plenty of time to try this song out and practice. So with a few hours over the weekend behind me I'm posting this "attempt"

Instead of Drip lessons I'll do a drip video for review. I can only hope that I get better over time as this is pretty ugly. I had never really tried fingerpicking until now as I always got bored or frustrated and I could always go back to my comfort zone. Well, thanks to Neil, I'm in this tuning waiting for more Suite: Judy Blue Eyes with nothing else to do but work on 4+20. Kudos to Neil for indirectly getting me to do this.

So here is the first attempt. It was very difficult to get my strumming mentality to work a thumb and 3 fingers independently. I hope you recognize the song.

MarkM

Was traveling yesterday so I had a day away from practice. Pick this song back up today and it's amazing to watch/feel the muscle memory taking place. I literally just practiced for maybe an hour before I took this. It's still pretty harsh but better I hope. So here is V.2. Please give any pointers to improve on.

haoli25

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Kepp working it Mark, you're doing just fine. I only wish my first fingerpicking attempt was that good. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

dennisg

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Well, for a guy who has no experience fingerpicking, I thought you did a great job. Yeah, it's a little rough, but it's gonna be a lot better in a couple of days, knowing you.

Yamaha48

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Hello Mark.

Thanks fore share this nice video.
Its not easy the picking fore the
first time. cheers Anton

tovo

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Cool Mark. it's just repetition now to get the picking to a point where you don't need to think about it. Over...and over...and over...and over..You get the point. You'll get it soon as well. You're a quick study.

MarkM

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks All.

Bill - thanks. I'll keep telling myself that the first one is the hardest.

Dennis - Thank you. Rough is an understatement. Tough when you can't go and play another song (in this tuning) when you get frustrated.

Anton - You got that right.

Tony - rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat. That's all I'm doing as I have nothing else to play except the intro to Suite JBE. I'll post an update if it gets better in a few days.

Thanks for all then encouragement folks.

MarkM

BobR

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm sure you'll get the fingerpicking down in time. Practice practice practice. You'll have to so you can change back to standard tuning. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Mark, you are going to make huge leaps in these areas you are not yet versed in. The way you go at it, it's really natural and you are building upon considerable skill already. This D modal stuff is fun... I'm doing the same as you and I love the little steps forward into an area I have not yet ventured. Keep posting!

izzyhara

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:07 pm

I love this !!! Thanks so much for posting it. And I agree with the "over and over and over" - and then dream about it, and then listen to it - and then go for a walk and count while walking - It is a beautiful tune and you are doin' just fine. B)

MarkM

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Thank you.

Bob - thanks. I may never change back

Chris - Yeah it is fun for sure. It better be. It's all I got at the moment. :laugh:

Izzy - Thank you. I'm doing it every waking hour. In the car, watching tv, etc...

I tell you what though. Do you know how bad I want to grab the pick and start Cinnamon Girl or something else right now..... :blink: :blink:

All kidding aside. It is getting easier everytime I pick it back up. Tomorrow I'll be out all day on appointments and I'll be itching to get back to it in the evening.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic