Buckets of Rain - sws626

sws626

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:57 am

This is my first video upload, so please be gentle and bear in mind that, until about 3 weeks ago, I hadn't tried to play a guitar in almost 30 years.

It's an attempt at Bob Dylan's 'Buckets of Rain' from the album 'Blood on the Tracks' (1975). I've been working on it for about a week.

Although the song is not (yet) a TARGET lesson, I was inspired by all the recent discussions of open tuning to give it a try. It's one I'd wanted to play as a teenager, but I didn't realize until recently that it was played with an Open E tuning (E B E G# B E).

Still needs a lot of work, plenty of mistakes, my index fingernail is broken, and the strings need changing -- but enough excuses. Have a listen...

Maybe when it's up to speed I'll try to sing along.

- Stuart

[video][/video]

tom18

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 am

Stuart,
I love that song too and you nailed it. I really expected to hear Dylan's gravely voice enter on the first verse. Incidentally where did you get the music to the song? I'm sure there are others here (including myself) who like to give it a try.
Tom

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:21 am

Wow Stuart, kick the door open and storm in to the room! What a great first video! Welcome to the esteemed club of video posters. That was rock steady and very nicely played. Well done. I will leave the teaching comments to those that can give them better than I.
Pizza for you!

snipe

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36 am

Nicely done. Would like to see more Dylan songs.

Thanks

Snipe

unclewalt

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 am

I've been playing a version in C for a long, long time that isn't note-for-note, but is still instantly recognizable and highly flexible. I'm not sure at all, but I think Happy Traum's version is similar to what I do. If I want it in E, I just use a capo -- but I usually play it in C# or D.

mark

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:03 am

From your description I was expecting a train wreck but you nailed it.
It's only time and practice to get to full speed.

Another song to add to my must learn list.

dekotaj

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Hey Stuart,I thought it was fantastic.Its nice to get that first post up.Cant wait to see what else you share with us.

Kevin

Craig

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Stuart,
Great job. Congratulations on your first posting. I look forward to hearing your next. I too would hope to see a Dylan lesson or two.
Craig

dennisg

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:19 am

Very nicely done, Stuart. And darn you for making it sound so wonderful! That's yet another song I'll have to add to my list.

wrench

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Very nice, Stuart, and welcome to the posters' club.

Very well done and very enjoyable to listen to, but you should have sandbagged it because now we expect your next post to be a virtuoso performance! :) :) :) Seriously, though, your return to guitar looks like it is going to be very successful. Are you having as easy of a time of it as you make it look?

Pizza points for you, my friend, and thanks for posting your video. I'll be looking forward to more.

Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic