Buckets of Rain - sws626

BobR

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Stuart,

I thought you did a really good job. I had not heard that song, so after listening to your version I popped over to YT and listened to Dylan. The only noticeable difference was he played it a bit faster and of course he added his lovely(?) voice.

Great job

I am waiting for the singing version.

Bob

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Introducing Stuart yeah!!! Great stuff nice and smoothly played throughout. Might need to get a tab for this one.

ONly comments I reckon you will get is about position (guitar and hands) really but hey it seems to work well for you

Good on ya for posting and joining the club

beaker

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Stuart, excellent job! You did it really well. Oddly enough, I started playing that song just yesterday. I opted for a DADF#AD tuning though, so it is easier on my guitar. Tangled up in Blue from the Bootleg series uses the same tuning. Looking forward to your next post. Beaker.

willem

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:40 pm

I know its your second video,,,nice playing and if we want we can all sing along with your playing,
[video][/video][/quote]

Buckets Of Rain songtekst

Buckets of rain
Buckets of tears
Got all them buckets comin’ out of my ears.
Buckets of moonbeams in my hand,
I got all the love, honey baby,
You can stand.

I been meek
And hard like an oak
I seen pretty people disappear like smoke.
Friends will arrive, friends will disappear,
If you want me, honey baby,
I’ll be here.

Like your smile
And your fingertips
Like the way that you move your lips.
I like the cool way you look at me,
Everything about you is bringing me
Misery.

Little red wagon
Little red bike
I ain’t no monkey but I know what I like.
I like the way you love me strong and slow,
I’m takin’ you with me, honey baby,
When I go.

Life is sad
Life is a bust
All ya can do is do what you must.
You do what you must do and ya do it well,
I’ll do it for you, honey baby,
Can’t you tell?

MarkM

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Stuart,

What a great performance. 30 years huh???????? Well you must have been amazing then because this video was very very good. I have nothing to add other than that. Thanks for posting!!!

MarkM

tovo

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Nice work mate. Thanks for putting that up, very nice.

johnrfeeney

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 pm

terrific!

sws626

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks so much for all your kind comments. As Izzy said somewhere in welcoming a new member to the forum, this community makes us want to become better guitarists.

Tom: I had a tough time getting any reliable music for this piece. Almost all of the tabs in circulation are poor and inaccurate. One exception is the one you'll find on Eyolf Østrem's website (I'm not sure if I should post a link, but it's easy enough to find and a great resource for Dylan stuff in general). I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and found something faithful to the way it's played on the album in the published sheet music at musicroom.com ((c) Ram's Horn Music), where at least the time signature is right (2/2 cut time).

Chris: Thanks for the pizza. I don't know what that means, but it sounds good. I've admired your videos and a positive review from you is very encouraging indeed.

Snipe: I'd like to see more Dylan tunes here as well. Come over and join the Dylan group and let's talk about how to find some likely to appeal to Neil and fit into his teaching philosophy.

Uncle Walt: I haven't heard Happy's version of this song, though Beaker recently suggested I check it out. It's been played in a lot of different keys and tunings in concert and by others, I know. Would love to hear your take on this song.

Mark: I guess I mostly see how far I have to go rather than how far I've come. That's a personality disorder, I know. It's improving day by day (the song, not the disorder), but I wanted to post it here with warts and before it became at all polished.

Kevin: Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not sure what piece to work on next. This one still needs a lot of attention. I'm sorely tempted by 'God Only Knows,' but also want to spend more time with TARGET songs.

Craig: As I mentioned above, come over to the Dylan group and let's talk about lobbying Neil to add some more to the program. As far as I'm aware, there are only two now: 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door,' and 'Blowin' in the Wind.'

Dennis: Since it's currently the only song on my list, I don't feel too bad about adding it to yours. I'm glad you liked it.

Dan: Thanks for the encouragement. Fingerpicking is more or less in my comfort zone (at least that's what I remember). I have never come to terms with a plectrum. Had I chosen something with a complicated rhythm, there would have been no question of sandbagging. It would have simply been dreadful. And thanks too for the pizza. Still don't know what that is, but I'm guessing I can't eat it.

Bob: I'm glad to have exposed you to this song. I've been listening to it since I was very young, but never worked up the nerve to try to play it until joining TG. Dylan usually plays it a bit faster in concert than on the album; and I slowed it down a bit here from the speed at which I'd like to play it. You may have to wait a while for the singing version. Love your signature quotation, by the way.

Chas: Glad you enjoyed it. I don't think it's great to sit on the edge of the bed to play, but it's where I happened to be when my inhibitions broke down. I thought someone would mention my left thumb poking out over the neck. Getting it in proper position will be necessary to stop damping some of the strings in the little hammer & pull measure. You might also have noticed that I didn't use my middle finger. It's got a bad blister on it, which is not a great handicap since most of the fingering is done on the 1st and 3rd strings. But it does mean that all the hammer ons and pull offs had to be done (badly, as it turns out) with my pinky.

Beaker: What a coincidence. I'd be glad to compare notes with you as you figure out how you want to play it. And I'm looking forward to seeing it here when you're ready. You are right that an Open E tuning is hard on the guitar. Here the guitar is actually tuned to open D (as you describe) and capoed to the second fret.

Willem: Strictly speaking, you are right. But the snipet of 'Heart of Gold' I posted on your thread a couple of weeks wasn't really a song. Thanks for posting the lyrics. I'm afraid I didn't play enough verses for anyone to sing along all the way through. Maybe next time.

MarkM: I played a lot between the ages of 13 and 18, but I was never getting any better. I'm sure there's some muscle memory that comes back; but what's really changed is my attitude. And having this community has been a huge boost in that regard. In some ways, I'd say this is better than when I played as a teenager because I've been figuring it out for myself now.

Tovo: When it gets better, maybe I can convince you to sing this with me. I still can't get over how much I enjoyed your 'Hallelujah' video.

John: Very kind of you. Thanks.

-Stuart

izzyhara

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:13 pm

This is really good. I would love to try that one, so now you have to share !! One thing I notice about you that I also noticed about myself after creating a video of myself - your picking hand is really calm. I think that's a good thing. Thank you so much for sharing. It is really pretty, and well done. Izzy

RicksPick

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Stuart
Nice
Looking forward to more
Thanks
RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic