reiver - Melissa with melody (for Gary "Goldleaf")

RicksPick

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Looks and sounds good to me Reiver
Plenty of volume there mate,
from that little lady

RicksPick

Lavallee

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi Reiver, this sounds very good. I am not familiar with that song but the picking technique is well done.

Good on you mate

Cheers

Marc

jayswett

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Doesn't look easy. Sounded nice. I haven't seeen any of your videos recently, so I was pleased to see this.

reiver

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Some quick responses;

Suzi (i) :P
Suzi (ii) Thanks Suzi. Yes, my guitar will be quite a bit smaller than yours. But size isn't everything!

Dennis - This song has been posted so often I'm surprised you still don't recognise it. Must be the way I play it!

Bob, Chas, Willem, John, Rick. Thanks for the kind words.

Chris - I'd recommend viewing all of my videos somewhere that you can't hear them, If you were then to position yourself so that you can't quite see the screen, that'd be perfect.

Mark - I'm not sure exactly which pick I used, but it would have been a standard size, and quite thin. (don't like heavy picks)

Marc - Thanks Marc. This picking technique is by far the one that I am least comfortable with. I don't mind strumming, I like fingerpicking - no good at picking separate strings. Much practice needed.

Jay - It's probably easier than I make it look! I'm sticking to about one vid a month. Reckon that's enough.

dennisg

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 pm

reiver wrote:
Dennis - This song has been posted so often I'm surprised you still don't recognise it.
Forgive me. I'm old. Very old.

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:44 am

Nice work, Reiver.

I'm a bit out of the loop and haven't watched the last TG Live yet, so I don't know the background with Neil on the song. But either way, I think you did a great job of adding the melody. It definitely makes it more interesting than just strumming the chords.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:58 am

...well I plugged into the stereo and heard it full blast Stuart: Great job and that Takamine sounds beautiful. Next time I'm in the club, I'll take my headphone with me! Pizza to you, blue!

reiver

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks Al. Having listened back to the video I've started trying it with less strumming and a bit more picking (and slowed it down bit) all of which improve it, I think. Overall it has given me some much needed practice in this picking technique which was hindering my ability to play songs like Over the Hills.

Chris - thanks to you too. I should add that this was not an expensive guitar, so it isn't going to sound like a £1500 Taylor - but I like it a lot. And it's very comfortable to play.

r

goldleaf

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Reiver, loved your new guitar and nice melody on Melissa. You must have done it right, I didn't see one mention about strumming. Glad you gave it a run and did a good job at it. Maybe I'll give it another shot with less strumming next time. Good job. Gary

reiver

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Gary - glad you liked it. Hope you do give it another go, maybe this will give you some ideas to develop your version a bit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic