Don't Cross The River, nice song but I'm still a little handicapped

gzing2

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi to all the list and to the reviewers, this is my video about Don't Cross The River By America: I hope you tell me really the truth I deserve! The next version will be sung and played by myself (won't you believe it or yes)

Thanks
Sergio
Italy

jayswett

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:18 pm

Glad to see you manged to get this posted. There were some minor technical issues with the audio/visual synchronization, but with regard to the performance itself, I'd say it was a great first effort. Chord changes were for the most part solid. Perhaps slowing down a bit will allow the strumming to be a bit softer, which I think will the enhance the piece a bit. Nice job. I'd like to see an update in a few weeks.

TGMatt

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey buddy Great effort

I would say this point...

One that Neil wacked me over the hands for yesterday when I was over their..

Your guitar is at an angle...you do this to "see" your chord changes..but it results in terrible hand position, and will lead to atrocious long term form ..and a bad habit for life..

Sit the guitar correctly and the long term benefits will pay off even if you miss chord changes. ..keeping in time is more important right now..

Hope that is useful

cheers

tovo

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi Sergio. Jay and Matt gave you some real good tips. I would say you need to practice to a point where you can grab the chords (particularly those barre chords) without pause, so that the tune flows. Practice is the key. Well done for posting it.

Lavallee

Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Sergio, the first posts are always intimidating and bring some tension in your hands.

I agree with the above comments and I would add that you should try to strum only the strings that are pertinent to the chord. Rigth now whatever chord you play, you hit the 6 strings making them sounding all similar. So when you do a D chord, you should try to hit only the first 4 strings instread of all of them because they are not part of the chord.

I would also suggest to play way slower to allow you to change the chords in time with the strumming and then increase speed gradually once you are in time.

Keep em coming

Marc

BobR

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Sergio,

I had issues similar to Jay that the audio/video seemed a bit out of sync so it was hard to see. It also seemed a few times that chords were getting muted not sure if you meant to or not. A little more practice time and you'll have it.

Bob

RicksPick

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 am

Hello Sergio

Thanks for posting
Difficult to see the video
Question About your pick
Have you watched Neils Lessons on holding a pick
It might help
Because it sounds like my strumming with a pick
So I use my fingers instead
Until I'm more practiced.
Must relax that grip

RicksPick

jayswett

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:46 pm

One other suggestion would be to get yourself a music stand. Makes it easier to play/read at the same time.

waggis

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:34 pm

jayswett wrote:
One other suggestion would be to get yourself a music stand. Makes it easier to play/read at the same time.
Dear jayswett,

first of all I beg your pardon for the long period before answering your courtesy.

Second I'm so sorry but I don't speak English (American English?) so well, so that I don't know how to translate "to get myself a music stand".

Will you be so kind to explain it to such an ignorant as I am?

Thanks a lot!

Sergio

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi Sergio
A music stand is something you can put your music notes or papers on so you can read them better as you play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic