Cool song Tin Man, but I didn' t know I was so bad.

gzing2

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi list, this is a song for I thank you so much because it is not in the target list.

Timing: how not to go out because of the singing?

Thanks again

Sergio
Italy

tovo

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:16 pm

Hey Sergio, glad you managed to work out the student upload technical stuff.

As I said before, I think you need to work on having the tune down in terms of your playing before you can hope to attempt to sing it. It's just practice. Right now you are hesitating while you find the chord and that makes it all a bit disjointed.

I can imagine how well I would go trying to sing in Italian (not very well!), so I sincerely give you kudos for the effort, as I imagine it adds another degree of complexity to what is already difficult for most of us, playing and singing together.

heyjoe

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Sergio

Well done for the song, I don't know how people can sing and play the guitar at the same time.

As Tony said in the previous post, you can see that you are hesitating at some points in the song, so it may be better to concentrate on one aspect of the song first.

It may be worth you breaking the song down into smaller sections, and learning them section by section, and then joining them all together. Maybe do this for guitar first, and then for the vocals, and then piece them together.

Kudos for posting the video and good luck with the song

Joe

sws626

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:37 am

Hello Sergio,

Thanks for posting this. I'd follow Tony's (Tovo's) advice regarding singing. It's just too hard to try to sing a song you're still learning to play. Here I think the phrasing of the lyrics is throwing off your strumming pattern.

The guitar playing itself is coming well. The barre chords ring out strongly. Your left hand position looks good. You seem to have trouble finding the G (it looks like a G) when coming back down the neck. Not sure why because you don't have this problem when coming to it from other chords in first position. That's a complicated turn in the singing, too; so you might see if it improves when you don't try to sing. One thing Neil mentions and I find helpful is to let go on the upstroke of the previous chord, not worrying about what strings sound, so that you have time to be in position before the downstroke on the new chord.

The only other thing I would suggest is to choose a strumming pattern and stick to it throughout the song. You can vary and develop this later, but it's good to have a default pattern to fall back on. The singing is driving your strumming pattern in many parts here, so I tihnk you'll be surprised how much more natural it feels wihtout singing.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

-Stuart

jayswett

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 pm

I see a ton of potential talent here. Anyone who can sing and play that song, at your stage of development, as well as you just did is destined to become a talented guitar player. Yes, there are few things on which you can improve with respect to both of your videos, but I'd be willing to bet that a year from now, you will be light years ahead of where you are now. Keep practicing, and keep posting your videos. They are great fun to watch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic