ANGEL FROM MONTGOMERY by DennisG (and wife Jamie)

RicksPick

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:29 am

Wow Dennis and Jamie

So well done
Guess we will see Jamie again after that performance
Are you sure you didn't get a ringer in??
Nicely done both of you

RicksPick

AndyT

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 am

All the good stuff has already been said so, That was the worst example of a piece of garbage I've ever seen. I thought you were supposed to be making really bad videos and here you go and sneak some quality in on us. Shame on you for doing good!

LOL

Great video Dennis. I really enjoyed it.

willem

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:08 am

Dennis and Jamie,,i never heard this song, but then i go and look on YT..
I was glad you both had your teeth in..lol
Nicely done and looking forward to you both second video..

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am

Perfect!

I didn't notice any guitar flubs you referred to Dennis. But it could have been the fact that I was mesmerized by Jamie's singing! And your voices compliment each other very well.

First class all the way!

beaker

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:00 am

Dennis & jamie, Most excellent job! I liked your hybrid fingerpicking style. Looking forward to your next post. By the way, the sound was great too. You must have some great recording equipment. Beaker.

jayswett

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am

I agree completely with all of the above comments regarding the beauty of that wonderful video. Your wife sang with alot of confidence. I feel a little odd making a couple of suggestions regarding the guitar playing bit, but they may be of use in case you and your wife decide to perform that for friends at your next dinner or cocktail party (and I think you should).

1) If I'm not mistaken, John Prine sings and plays that song at a slower tempo than what you played. It didn't sound rushed at all, but I think a slighly slower tempo will give the listener an opportunity to appreciate your wife's lovely voice a bit more.

2) Neil recommends not using your pinky as an anchor when fingerpicking. I used to rely on the anchor technique, but have managed to change my ways, and I now find that I prefer NOT using an anchor. I haven't yet figured out what avantages exist with Neil's technique, but I'm guessing that the advantages will become clear as I evolve as a guitar player.

I'm still looking for someone to sing Landslide for me. I don't suppose your wife would be interested?

Congrats to the both of you on a very nice video.

Yamaha48

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Hello Dennid and Jamie.

This sounds pretty good,i love it.
Nice pickture you together,and Jamie a nice voice.
Thanks fore share this video.

Greet Anton

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Wow! Dennis and Jamie that was just excellent... and a whole lot of fun to watch. Brilliant job on the singing and performance all round. Love the harmonies. I'd never heard that song before and it's great to be introduced to a new song that way. I can just imagine the fun you had on all those takes... you guys will remember this forever.
The pizza delivery van is on it's way....

Lavallee

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm

jayswett wrote:
I agree completely with all of the above comments regarding the beauty of that wonderful video. Your wife sang with alot of confidence. I feel a little odd making a couple of suggestions regarding the guitar playing bit, but they may be of use in case you and your wife decide to perform that for friends at your next dinner or cocktail party (and I think you should).

1) If I'm not mistaken, John Prine sings and plays that song at a slower tempo than what you played. It didn't sound rushed at all, but I think a slighly slower tempo will give the listener an opportunity to appreciate your wife's lovely voice a bit more.

2) Neil recommends not using your pinky as an anchor when fingerpicking. I used to rely on the anchor technique, but have managed to change my ways, and I now find that I prefer NOT using an anchor. I haven't yet figured out what avantages exist with Neil's technique, but I'm guessing that the advantages will become clear as I evolve as a guitar player.

I'm still looking for someone to sing Landslide for me. I don't suppose your wife would be interested?

Congrats to the both of you on a very nice video.
Jay I would think that the anchoring cause a problem when you have to shift from your regular home position to a higher (one string up ) home position . If you are anchored you would then have an angle with your fingers (because you have to stretch up)that you did not have before causing more pulling than normal hit.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Dennis

Marc

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Dennis and Jamie:

Not familiar with the song myself, but I enjoyed your clip. Nice melody and cool lyrics. Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic