ANGEL FROM MONTGOMERY by DennisG (and wife Jamie)

dennisg

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Some background: "Angel from Montgomery," written in 1971 by John Prine, has been recorded by a number of people, including artists as diverse as Dave Matthews, Tanya Tucker, Susan Tedeschi, and Ben Harper. But the biggest impact was made by Bonnie Raitt who recorded it in 1974 and has kept the song in her play set pretty much ever since. Part of what I've always found fascinating about the song is that John Prine wrote it from a female's perspective -- the beginning lyrics being, "I am an old woman..." There aren't that many songs written that way.

Why I chose this song: I could say I chose it because I think it's a beautiful song, but really, I could say that about every song I choose. Another reason I chose it is because it's a great, wistful piece of poetry set to disarmingly simple and sweet music -- the chords G - C - D - F being all there is to it. It doesn't get much simpler than that. But really, the main reason I chose it is because I was looking for a song I could sing on TG with my wife Jamie, having been inspired by Chris's wonderful video of "Summer Wine" he did with his daughter. Considering that Jamie has zilch for a musical background, never even sang until she met me, and doesn't play an instrument, I think she did a terrific job.

The challenges: My own maddening lack of ability to maintain attention. I did "For No One" in three takes. "Junk" required two takes. "Angel from Montgomery," by far the easiest song of all? Nineteen takes. It just goes to show that the easiest songs are sometimes the hardest to pull off -- especially when your mind is wandering to Jamie's clothing or to her hair or to how much I love the fact that she's doing this with me. Only four chords, and yet I managed to keep flubbing them. Go figure.

haoli25

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 pm

Nineteen must be the magic number....that was great fun to watch. Excellent job both of you! Nancy

BobR

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Dennis / Nancy

Excellent Job. I thought it was great. I must honestly say I didn't hear the flubs you mentioned, I was just enjoying listening to you both.

Great job

Bob

sws626

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Dennis,

Looks/sounds like you two had a lot of fun with this. Nineteen takes? It sure doesn't look like you've grown tired of it. I love this song, though I'm only familiar with Bonnie Raitt's recording of it. Nice job and thanks for sharing it.

-Stuart

izzyhara

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:26 pm

How fun that you guys are doing this together. None of us are Neil, or even close to professionals. So flubs or breaks in rhythm are just part of it. They just get better with time. It looked to me like you could have given us the first take, and we still would have gotten the joy out of it.
Thanks much for sharing !!!

dekotaj

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:28 pm

HEY you two.I no this is to be a family friendly site.WOW nice outro Dennis.And just like and old western the guys gets the girl in the end.

Once again Dennis Cant say enough about you(AND NOW YOUR LOVELY WIFE JAMIE)performance.Your guys seem to had as much fun making that as i did watching it.

BRAVO!!BRAVO!!Kevin

haoli25

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Jamie and Dennis, you are a HIT! That was a true pleasure to watch. Nineteen takes or not, don't change a thing about it. Thanks to both of you for posting your video.

Bill Image

BigBear

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:38 pm

WOW! You guys are great! Jamie has the perfect voice for that song! It was well worth the 19 takes! Your guitar sounded really nice too; very clear! Great finger picking.

I can't wait for Paradise next? Cheers! :cheer:

reiver

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:49 pm

Dennis

That was truly brilliant. And good though your playing was, I'm sure that you wont be disappointed to hear that I think Jamie really stole the show with a very confident and accomplished piece of singing.

I've only recently discovered John Prine and there are some brilliant duets with the wonderful Iris Dement on You Tube which I think the 2 of you would do excellently together.

Great video, congratulations to you both.

r

snipe

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:00 pm

That was excellent! Thanks for your efforts. Good harmony between you guys.

Snipe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic