ANGEL FROM MONTGOMERY by DennisG (and wife Jamie)

mmmbldo

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Very nice job, Dennis and Jamie! That was truly enjoyable. Encore! Encore!

Hydroman52

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey Dennis,

Very nicely done. And that Jamie (as we say in these parts) . . . she's a keeper.

Thanks for the song!

dennisg

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks so much, everyone for the very nice things you said about the clip -- and about Jamie's singing in particular. I showed her your comments and she was amazed that so many people from around the world would bother to look at the video, let alone take the time to post a nice note. She asked me to thank you so much for your generosity.

Bob: It's okay that you called my wife Nancy. It's only important that I don't call her that.

Stuart: We were pretty exhausted on the final take. There were actually a lot of nice little guitar flourishes that I kept jettisoning after take number 12, just to simplify things. By the time take 19 came around, my right hand was getting pretty spastic.

Izzy: I love singing with my wife. It's one of my real joys. It used to be that whenever I'd sing a harmony, she'd switch over to my part. I'd change to the melody, then she'd switch back to that. She's gotten a lot better at sticking to her own part.

Bear: I would like to do another song with Jamie at some point. One of the songs I was consider is "The difficult kind" by Sheryl Crow. Jamie owns that song at karaoke.

Reiver: I have zero problem with Jamie being the center of attention. Performing with her allows me to shine in reflected light. Thanks for the recommendation to check out the duets. I'll duet.

Tony: I gave some thought to where we'd each stand. Jamie insisted that the guitar be seen; along with that, having her on my left was difficult because I kept clubbing her with my guitar. I suppose I could solve the whole problem with a second mic.

Wrench: Thanks so much for the invitation to do more duets. Jamie was worried about intruding in our forum, so it's nice to know that people are welcoming her to come back to the site.

Craig: I couldn't agree with you more. Being able to sing with my wife is a blessing. I bought her a uke recently so that we could do it even more often.

Beaker: I run the guitar and the mic directly into my little Roland AC-60 amp, then go from the amp's Line Out directly to the camera, which is a little Kodak Zi8 flip-style. It's a pretty simple setup, but I'm glad to know it sounds good.

Jay: You don't ever have to be concerned about making suggestions to me. I always gladly accept them in the spirit in which they're delivered. I think maybe you're right about the tempo of the song. I'll try slowing it down next time. Yeah, I understand the thing about anchoring my pinky finger. It's so ingrained in my. I spent some time trying to play with my hand floating, and I couldn't begin to find the strings I was looking for. But I imagine it just takes practice, like everything else. I still play "G" and "A" chords the non-Neil-approved way, too. I'm sure Jamie would love to sing Landslide.

Chris: Thanks so much. I've been enjoying bringing some wonderful but lesser-known songs to TG, and I suspect that trend will continue. And I'll occasionally mix in a song with Jamie.

Hydro: Yes, she is a keeper. In fact, I've been keeping her for 34 years.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Dennis, I loved that video, for obvious reasons, congrats.

I wonder if you're a fan of the McGarrigle sisters' music?

You'd hit any of their material right out of the park, also.

Pierre

cosmicmechanic

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Pierre

dennisg

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:

Pierre
Pierre, I'm a big fan of Kate and Anna's music. One of my all-time favorite albums is the McGarrigle Hour that the ladies did with Loudon, Martha, and Rufus Wainwright. Since you mention it, I'll think about doing Loudon's song School Days. Thanks for the suggestion to consider their music.

MarkM

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:43 am

Jamie/Dennis,

Wow I spend the day on a plane today and all these great videos come out. Great job to the both of you. I'm so jealous as to your singing voices. That is a great gift to have. I know the song and didn't notice and mistakes. 19 takes? well that would be a record low for me. Thoroughly enjoyed that performance. It's a pleasure to watch after 22 hours awake. Keep them coming. I always look forward to your videos.

MarkM

dennisg

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 am

MarkM wrote:
Jamie/Dennis,

Wow I spend the day on a plane today and all these great videos come out. Great job to the both of you. I'm so jealous as to your singing voices. That is a great gift to have. I know the song and didn't notice and mistakes. 19 takes? well that would be a record low for me. Thoroughly enjoyed that performance. It's a pleasure to watch after 22 hours awake. Keep them coming. I always look forward to your videos.

MarkM
Thanks very much, Mark. After 22 hours awake, there's nothing quite like one of my videos to put you to sleep. To be honest, I've always felt very, very lucky that I'm able to sing and play because it opens up a whole world of possibilities to me. As for having a wife who likes to sing with me, well, it's just a joy.

hasben

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:25 pm

To all the folks out there: I talked to my buddy Denny on the phone today. I have been out of the loop for a week or so, and I missed the video post. Now, for those that don't know the song, my suggestion is to buy every John Prine CD you can! He goes back to 67 or so, and some of the songs may be "dated" but they will give you a feel for his tremendous writing talent-- and, very often, humour ( that was for the unyanks). I had never really thought about it, growing up with JP and all, but I can see how John Prine was/is a US, if not a regional US, artist. However, every song he writes has a message-- there are no trivial ditties with John Prine. Try him out. There are many, many songs I bet you will recognize by the covers of other artists. IMHO, he ranks way up there as a singer/songwriter. Well worth the 6.99 US or so for EVERY CD you can get. Now, I don't think JP will be included in Neil's lessons. His music is C, F, and G. Basic. But his words and melodies speak for themselves.

Denny is right, Bonnie Raitte does this song best-- other than John Prine himself.

I do agree with an earlier post: the tempo on Jamie and Denny's video is a little fast. But I have a solution: Dennis, send Jamie down to Oklahoma for a week or two. She'll get the slower soul sound down-- along with the grits and gravy. :laugh:
Tell her I look forward to strumming with her. :laugh:

Fred

michelew

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:42 am

Dennis and Jamie that was really FABULOUS!! I really enjoyed it and just like Suzi I found myself smiling all the way through, especially at the end. You both sounded professional. I hope that you try it out at an open mike night some time if you haven't already. I'm sure it will go down a treat.

I have nothing to add about your playing Dennis - except that I'd like to play as well and as confidently as you sometime. ANd 19 takes ... that's nothing.

Jamie's voice reminded me of Nancy Griffith and really suited the song.

By the way (I know you know this) but you're a really lucky man!! You both look and sound great together.

More duets please.

I loved it!

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic