TG Matt Murders Neil Young and Harvest Moon (gotta walk the talk right ?)

jayswett

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 am

What I find fascinating about this is that you are obviously a beginner/intermediate guitar player, yet you have managed to build (with the help of others, I know) what is by far the best, most helpful, and all around incredible website on the internet. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I saw that you had posted a video, but having watched your video, I'm left wondering what other ridiculous accomplishments you have under your belt that reflect a curiosity or beginning interest in something. I suspect there are many. Regarding your video, I agree with the others that you are overcritical of your faults, as many of us are, and the piece was a joy to watch.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 am

Now that was fun! Welcome to the video posters' club Matt. That was a really great job of that song complete with singing. It's not easy to get the phrasing when you are still working on the guitar side of things. That's a steep learning curve you are on! Good job.

...and we are all pretty envious of you being able to pick up Neil's guitar and play it ..... love to do that! More pizza on the way....

mmmbldo

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Hey Matt,

Like the others, I think you did a good job. Your playing and singing added up to an enjoyable video! I also appreciate your willingness to get out there, warts and all, and show your efforts before you have perfected a song. It is encouraging to other TGers (like me) to get with it and post. I would like to see you post this song again, after you have put the polish on it..looking forward to it.

BobR

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Matt,

Way too hard on yourself. I am still attempting that song and haven't got down 2nd dfill yet, and I have been trying on/off for a couple months, never mind trying to sing at the same time.

Great Job

Bob

Oh, and this was the second time I saw you, I watched your duet Wish you were here contest song first. Great job there also.

Bob

suziko

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:13 pm

Matt,

That was really fun to watch and I'm glad you decided to join the "posters club!" I liked how you added the finger-picked intro and outro and gave the harmonics a go as well. You did a nice job with that pesky Fill2, too. All in all, a solid performance and one you can be proud of.

Suzi

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Your song heading should have read- TG Matt under-promises and OVER-delivers on Harvest Moon!

Really good job, Matt!

jayswett

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Your song heading should have read- TG Matt under-promises and OVER-delivers on Harvest Moon!

Really good job, Matt!
That was both funny and true. Well said.

dennisg

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Very, very nice job, Matt. You're not far away from having that song be second nature to you. Congratulations.

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Matt:

Kudos to you mate for taking the time and having the courage to put yourself out there. I agree with many of the comments about you overstating your suckiness....lol You did a much better job than what you had me expecting from your intro. Course, that just goes back to the thread we had about all of being so hard on ourselves. My life is busy and crazy just working and being dad. I can't imagine what yours is like with multiple businesses and your traveling. I have yet to put up a video (too many excuses to count - none of them worth a crap probably). So, to me, you deserve an applause for that in and of itself.

Most importantly, when you do get a chance to play, are you still having fun with it? That is what it all boils down to for me. Playing the guitar means a lot to me and you guys have given me a great spot to get better at it.

I am now looking forward to your future post of the more difficult song. I am sure you will surprise us yet again.

Cheers!

MJ

dtaylor

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Gang,

I thought I'd give you a little more background on how Matt learned Harvest Moon. As is his usual custom, he asked me to show him note-for-note, finger-for-finger, how to play the tune, after mentioning that he couldn't learn from the videos or tablature.

One of my main mantras for students is that you need to spend the most time working on the stuff that is most difficult for you. With that in mind, I handed Matt the tab and the computer and went off to see some students at the studio. He was not particularly happy about my hands-off method but it was time for a little tough love.

I returned a few hours later and the song was seriously taking shape. He even got out the FlipCam and shot a bit of his practice session. He had also made major progress in the direction of reading the tab and was clearly feeling less intimidated by it.

As far as the idea that he got extra special attention as my business partner, I am reminded of a story about my cousin Bruce. Many years ago Bruce worked at a local fancy steak restaurant, the Chart House, here in Los Gatos. Every time Nani and I visited we were treated to a few bonus courses, maybe an appetizer or dessert, which seemed like a nice perk. Unfortunately, our meals there usually took about 3 hours as the other side of the relative's perk was we were the last table to be waited on. Something similar to the cobbler's children going without shoes.

I was really impressed and thrilled with Matt's determination, although as you are all getting to know him better, you should find that as no surprise. As far as the video shoot was concerned, I just closed him up with the camera running and let him go. After about 30 minutes it was clear I needed to clear the house of small children and easily frightened pets but he was making progress. After he started bleeding all over his guitar we fixed him up with a Barbie doll band-aid and switched to my guitar. He pretty much said he was going to do one more take Someday I might have to post the 60 minutes of outtakes that were recorded between take 1 and the released version, but I'm not sure we want to tax the TG bandwith anymore than we already do.

In any case, I am really happy that Matt has joined the league of video posters. As many of you know, it is a huge step in your musical development.

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic