Henry Lee- Suziko

suziko

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:59 pm

The backstory on this song:
This song could be summed up with the phrase, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Henry Lee is an interpretation of a traditional folk song known as Young Hunting, of which there are apparently many versions. This is the version done by Nick Cave and PJ Harvey. Since I had no willing man to sing this as a duet with, I decided to go it alone, changing only slightly the 2nd verse.

Why I chose this song:
I'm not a strong singer, but this site has helped to push me out of my comfort zone many times already. So many other TG members have been willing to put themselves out there, so I wanted to do the same. This song is (relatively) in my singing range and I know the lyrics very well, having sung it for years. I also needed a song that didn't require too much attention to the guitar part, since my brain was going to be occupied with trying to sing. This song has 4 chords: Am, Dm, C and G. I also just love this song, love the contrast of the soft, pretty tune to the rather macabre lyrics.

What I learned from this song:
I only had the chords to the song, no TAB. But I knew that it's generally played as an arpeggio, so I played the chords that way, adding in the passing basses to make it more interesting. What I learned from the arrangement of songs like Hallelujah and Wonderful Tonight helped me to put together this simple arrangement.

Lastly:

1. If you look to the right, you'll see my newest acquisition, a Baby Taylor. I thought about playing this song on it, but my GC3 just has such better sound for fingerpicking.

2. Tony, I know I promised you that in my next video I'd miss my chair, but I hoped you'd give me a pass this time, since just singing is potentially embarrassing enough.

3. For the record, I neither condone nor advocate the message in this song.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Get down, get down, little Henry Lee
And stay all night with me
You won't find a girl in this damn world
That will compare with me
And the wind did howl and the wind did blow
La la la la la
La la la la lee
A little bird lit down on Henry Lee
I can't get down and I won't get down
And stay all night with thee
For the girl I have in that merry green land
I love far better than thee
La la la la la
La la la la lee
She leaned herself against a fence
Just for a kiss or two
And with a little pen-knife held in her hand
She plugged him through and through
And the wind did roar and the wind did moan
La la la la la
La la la la lee
Come take him by his lilly-white hands
Come take him by his feet
And throw him in this deep deep well
Which is more than one hundred feet
La la la la la
La la la la lee
Lie there, lie there, little Henry Lee
Till the flesh drops from your bones
For the girl you have in that merry green land
Can wait forever for you to come home
And the wind did howl and the wind did moan
La la la la la
La la la la lee

haoli25

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 pm

That was excellent Suzi!!! Of course, I have only watched your video four times so far!(lol) That was an absolute pleasure to watch and listen to. Your singing and playing were great. Don't change a single thing about it. Thank you so much for posting your video.

Bill Image

suziko

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah, the clapping hands!

Thanks, Bill. I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Suzi

TGMatt

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:28 pm

omfg that was just great .. awesome awesome awesome and what's better is a Nick cave song not many folk here know him or pj .. can't wait for you to do into my arms or red right hand or love letter

congrats

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:33 pm

**Note to self.. don't ever loan Suzi my pen knife!!

Outstanding, Suzi! Nice to finally not only hear your voice, but to actually hear you sing! That was really well done- and not a missed arpeggio that I could hear.

Get ready for this to be one of the most watched vids up here..

tovo

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey Suzi, great job. Another song I've never heard, becoming a habit for me, but as I've said before, love being introduced to songs here.

First, great kudos for the singing, it's another level of complexity for sure. My very honest opinion is that it was fine, but improved very noticeably as you got further into the song. I think you started a bit tentative and then gained confidence. Not a criticism at all Suzi, just an observation. Your playing was smooth and steady throughout (as usual).

But it was a pleasure to watch. I saw the little smirk on your face when you sat down, I bet you were thinking about missing that chair. Good choice not to...you can't dress that elegantly and then land on your butt. Next time.

mmmbldo

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Good job, Suzi...playing and singing both. I think a slow arpeggio like that can be difficult to maintain timing on. You handled it well though. A little practice and you'll have it down pat.

suziko

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Matt- I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves this song. Personally, I think Tony should tackle some Nick Cave songs, having that nice low voice of his.

Al- I get the feeling the narrator of this song would have made use of just about any pointed object had a pen-knife been unavailable.

The one positive to singing is it covers up minor flubs. I'm sure there are some missed notes or dead notes in there, but it's harder to tell.

johnrfeeney

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:38 pm

wonderful - !!!

haoli25

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:39 pm

You're a hit Suzi!! The receptionist came in while I was watching your video. After she watched it, she invited everyone else into my office for a replay. A huge thumbs up from the entire office. They all thought you were great too.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic