Henry Lee- Suziko

willem

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:41 am

Hallo Suszi,,I bet you had a party after your performance... you suprised me so much, i heard so many people talking about ''I can't sing'' well i know they can!!!What's difficult is is to sing and play the guitar at the same moment,,, you did it and i know you are a level higher now,, i know also that the most people want it that way,,(play and sing)..ofcourse you are aware that with singing comes some technic,,sone we get some tips from Jim the singing coach..(we gonna belt). For me when i try to sing along i find playing arpeggio's with it the easyest way to do that(well strumming goes also), but sometimes there are difficults when the singing note must carry to the next measer,, you find that in ''WONDERFUL TONIGHT'',that is very interresting...

I must thank you for upload your very nice performance,, a nice way to encourge your self and others,,looking forward to you next.

No stroopwaffels but,,, Image

jayswett

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 am

"Awesome" was the first word that came to mind as that video ended. I think Dennis' post hit the nail on the head, but I will add a couple of comments.

1) Like so many others on this site, your development as a guitar player has been fun to watch. Observing this video, then going back to watch your first video, I was more than impressed with the progress that you have made. Amazed would be a good descriptor, and I mean that very seriously. Looking forward to seeing more of it, and I'm quite sure you inspire many of the silent TG members on this site.

2) Your left and right hand positions seemed near perfect. Given the grim nature of the lyrics, the simple arpeggio fingerpicking pattern was appropriate for that song. You have nearly mastered that technique, and it would seem that you are ready to move on to other more complicated patterns. I suspect you already have, and I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor in subsquent videos.

3) Have you thought about an open mic night sort of thing? You should.

4) Why the new baby Taylor?

Great job with this video. I'm going to watch it again right now.

jim56

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:58 am

Suzi,

That was simply beautiful! Do another, please.

suziko

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:42 am

Chas- Wow, that song is beautiful (Who Knows Where the Time Goes). I love her voice! It's actually much lower than I expected as she sings so high in The Battle of Evermore. So, yeah, I think that song might actually be in my range. I'm signed up for a group vocal class which starts in March and I CANNOT WAIT until the voice lessons start here at TG. Thanks for pointing that song out to me. I'll be picking up a cd by her today.

Dekotaj- Thanks so much. I hope you're right, that the first time is the hardest. Singing this for you all was so far outside of my comfort zone, but, as I've already said, I've been inspired by so many of my TG friends who clearly are pushing themselves outside of their comfort zone.

d_dog- The post so nice, you said it twice ;) By the way, I love your new avatar. It made me laugh out loud. Something I wished later that I'd added to my already overlong intro is that one thing I really tried to do in this song is to put down the notes right before I played them, as Neil always recommends we do when fingerpicking. These comes into play in particular with the Dm. Instead of "slamming it down" as one chord, I tried to put it down one finger at a time. It really is an excellent technique, one that I've hardly mastered, but will continue to work on.

pbraun

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 am

Really nice. I envy the finger picking, I have only tried Blackbird and unless I play it 25 times in row I can't get it right. Your singing of that song was great.
Pete

beaker

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 am

Suzi, excellent job on the song. I enjoyed reading the background and your other comments as well. Hopefully next post you will play the baby Taylor so we can hear it. Nice job! (although the song is a bit of a dirge) Beaker.

snipe

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 am

Nice job! I really enjoyed your singing. Really like your guitar!!

Snipe

suziko

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am

Tom- Glad you enjoyed the video. Madison is a nice city, especially when it's not -20F or snowing. We live on the westside too, though closer to the university than where it sounds like you lived.

Stuart- Yes, I'm waiting for hook me a few million for my baby Pollack :) Truthfully, I like that both you and Chris noticed that. It was sitting ove to the side of the room, and I stuck it up against the wall to make the "scene" a little nicer. The Baby Taylor is really nice, especially for strumming songs and I love how portable it is. For fingerpicking, it just doesn't have the sound quality of the GC3, which was apparently designed as a fingerstyle guitar. I'm also hoping that my daughter, who is 7 right now, is going to get interested in learning soon, and this can be what she'll start out on.

MarkM- Doesn't it suck how life is always interfering with TG! I'm glad you liked the video. I'd highly encourage you to give singing a try. If I can do it, so can you.

Anton- Dank u wel! I've always enjoyed your videos so much. hearing someone sing a song while playing it really adds to the enjoyment. But I'm not an experienced singer and really am uncomfortable singing in front of people. Maybe I'll feel a bit more confident from now on.

Willem- I was very relieved after this was over, that is true. I didn't have a party, but I did have lunch. I am very eager to hear what our new vocal coach has to tell us. I'm sure we'll all benefit from his experience.

Jay- 1. Thank you so much. But, please, do yourself a favor and don't go back and watch my first video!! :)

2. Thanks partly to you (your video of Guaranteed) I've been working a lot on getting better at Travis picking. I actually experimented with some different patterns for this song, trying to "fancy" it up, but in the end I felt like a very simple pattern worked best. Plus, like I said, I really needed to not have to worry about what my hands were doing if I was going to sing it too.

3. I think you need to be able to sing more than one song to do open mic ;)

4. Why not? No, in seriousness, with summer (kind of) approaching, I've been thinking more and more about taking my guitar with me camping. I really did not want to bring the GC3 and expose it to flying sparks, bug spray and drunken friends. And my Alvarez is really just too bulky. Then I saw Reiver's video where he talked about his parlour-sized guitar and coincidentally the same day was looking through the Taylor magazine I get and saw the Baby Taylor. It just seemed like the perfect thing for taking camping or bringing to a friend's house. Plus, as I said above, it would make the perfect-sized guitar for Emma if she decides to learn some time soon. I kind of can't believe that I now own 3 guitars, but there you go.

Jim- Thank you.

Pete- Well, I confess that I did have to do a handful of takes of this. This was the only one that didn't end after about 30 seconds with a profanity.

suziko

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:25 am

Beaker- You cracked me up with your "dirge" comment. Yes, not an upbeat song, that! I'd like to debut the Baby Taylor at some point in the future. Just need to get the right song to play on it.

Snipe- Thank you. I love my guitar so much.

prawnpig

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 am

That was a great video enjoyed it very much,Have not listened to Nick in a long time but you can bet I will be now. Thanks for posting this very inspiring.

Dave. :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic