Henry Lee- Suziko

suziko

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Tony- Just to reiterate, I was in no way offended by your comment. You're spot on that my voice got stronger as the song goes on. Compliments and praise are always appreciated, but a big part of why I enjoy posting videos on TG is getting honest and kindly-worded advice and suggestions from other players on the site. It's important to be supportive of each other, but also important to give each other the tools we need to progress in our playing and singing. I hope that we can all feel comfortable giving and taking constructive criticism.

Chas- Thanks, Chas, and I appreciate the suggestions. Is Sandy Denny the woman who sings with Robert Plant in "The Battle of Evermore?"

Gary- I loved your singing on the LDC song. It's fun to hear everyone's voices and to hear how people can add their own flavor to a song.

Chris- Thanks for your kind words. I'll definitely pass on to Emma what you said. I filmed that up in my "studio" which is the catch-all room for my various hobbies and all of Emma's "art work" that constantly streams home from school.

Dennis- Your comment was so nice it made me seriously blush. A lot. Thank you and thank you for encouraging me to do this.

Rick- Not sure I'm ready to take PJ's crown (in part because I'm a little afraid to try!), but I appreciate the words!

Izzy- Thanks! But believe me, I've done my share of videos in jeans and a t-shirt. I dressed up for this for two reasons: 1. I like the old-fashioned cut of that dress and felt like it fitted the theme of the song and 2. I thought it might make it easier to go WAY out of my comfort zone if I felt good about how I looked. But this is no fashion contest. What's most important is being comfortable. As for my camera, I use a Kodak Zi8 which I love and highly recommend. It's very user friendly and takes a nice video. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Bob- Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked it!

Craig- I've been inspired by so many people at this site that I'm always pleased to think I might return the favor. Looking forward to your next video!

Suzi

suziko

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Marc- You snuck in while I was posting! Thanks for your kind words. maybe you could give us all a treat and sing something in French? I know I'd love it! Just stick your dog in the other room :)

Suzi

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi Suzi, Indeed she was, check out her 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' I reckon you could sing that. She was the only female ever to sing with Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant has sung with Fairport Convention on several times generaly on anniversaries of her passing. The song Matty Groves can be found in numerous versions with varying lyrics throughout England and some of them are so close to Henry Lee its not funny!

By the ay I've played your vid a few more times now and now you've broken that initial confidence thingy you could tackle some good Folk songs you have the voice and I might add the look, (google for pic of Sandy Denny or another good English singer Maddy Prior)

dekotaj

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Hey Suziko.BRAVO!!(The first cut is the deepest)Talking about sing that first song for everyone to hear.So once again BRAVO!!
I would still love to hear you do fright train and sing it.Mybe someday?
I dont belive ive heard this song before,But must say i enjoyed the tempol you played it at.Givem hell suzi.

Kevin

d_dog

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Awesome job Suzi! Great work on the bass notes, really nice touch. Great explanation too, I like that you added the notes about what you've learned and applied because of TG. Top Notch!

d_dog

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Awesome job Suzi! Great work on the bass notes, really nice touch. Great explanation too, I like that you added the notes about what you've learned and applied because of TG. Top Notch!

tom18

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Suzi,
Thanks, that was terrific and thanks also for posting the vid of Nick Cave's version. I've only 'discovered' his work lately and am very impressed. I also wanted to say that I spent about 27 months in Madison during the early '80s and will love it forever. We lived just off University Ave west of Whitney Way. Enjoy your town even when it's -20F. All the best,
Tom

sws626

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Suzi,

What a lovely performance. I'm sure it wasn't easy to work up the courage to put yourself out there like that. I didn't know the song, but was even more impressed with your treatment after listening to PJ's rendition. That's a very tough song to find your center with and you did a great job.

Now, I know you wanted to start with something easy to play, but I hope we can look forward to hearing you sing "Freight Train" soon.

- Stuart

p.s. I see you have a Baby Pollock as well. Seriously, though, how are you liking the Baby Taylor?

MarkM

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:12 am

Suzi,

Sorry it took so long. Between those pesky work meetings and events I haven't had time to get back to you on this. That was great!! You have all the guts in the world playing and singing this. Kudos to you!!! I was completely inspired by this. I need to get off my duff and try and actually sing something. The guitar playing was really good. The volume was pretty low on my laptop but it sounded really crisp. From what I could tell you had a strong pattern going and showed confidence. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

Yamaha48

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:34 am

Hello Suzi.

Big hand fore you,and a nice singing.
Thats the first time you sing and play the guitar?.
Thanks fore sharing,and hope to see a nother video from you,
with playing and singing.

Cheers Anton

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic