Pigs On The Wing - Part I

izzyhara

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:12 pm

This was really good. I like the song - does it have words? Picks on classical guitars don't work real well in my mind. So I personally think you are fine just strumming with your fingers. Try Neil's strumming technique - strum down with your two middle fingers and strum up with your index finger (Beginner Lesson #2 or #3 maybe?). That might bring a little more sound out. Video and sound were great on my end. Welcome to the ATV clue - addicted to videos. You do seem to know this pretty well, so you can start picking out more notes if you want to jazz it up. Loved it. Thanks for sharing !!!

suziko

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:49 pm

A great song from one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums. I hadn't looked at the lesson on this song, but I think I will tomorrow. Looks like a fun, quick song to learn.

Nice job on it, too. Nice clean chord changes, good, steady strumming. That single barre didn't pose any problems to you at all, it seems!

Thanks for posting! Suzi

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Abilio,

Great first post! You can tell you've played for a while (I assume). Everyone before me covered what I would have said about your playing-- steady, clean.

Re. your video/audio- both were more than acceptable. But if you're looking for advice on how to improve it.. I'd tweak your audio if possible. There did seem to be quite a bit of hiss in your recording. If you have any way of attaching an external mic to your camera or computer, then do that, and place the mic about a foot or so away from the guitar sound hole. Should clean up the hiss.

If you don't have an external mic option- then totally don't worry about it. We could all see and hear you fine.

Good job and looking forward to your next vid!

Lavallee

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Abilio, this first video is done nicely, your technique is fine. I agree with Jay that you should not hesitate to consider a more advanced song. Regarding the pick ( and I agree with Izzy and yourself that a pick is not ideal, sound wise, on a classical guitar), but do not prevent yourself from using it because it does not sound like an accoustic guitar. You have the opportunuiity to learn strumming techniques, you should use them as well.

Marc

abiliog

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:57 am

Thank you so much.
I do appreciate your advices and encouragement.
I will try more difficult tunes. There are so many songs I want to learn and play.

This is an old classic guitar (Samick) we bougth almost 20 years ago. Too many years left alone, until last year.

Thanks for the audio advice.
Yes I've played for two/three weeks on the song (more time on barre chords and not bar chords like I've wrote - no drinking problem :S ).
Some times I made it some don't. Need more practice on barre chords.

Rick, Jay, Dennis, Chris, Gary, Craig, Kevin, Bob, Tovo, Izzyhara, Suzi, AcousticAl, Marc, thanks for your time.
Feels good to be here.

I'll be back B)

willem

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 am

Abilio,,soooooo, you did it..when you use your classical guitar!!then you have a good advice from Izzy...,,when you have a steelstring, then use a pick with strumming,,, oOh, have a look in the group here ''Audacity'' great programma to use with recording your sound...

I enjoyed your playing,,,,see you

d_dog

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:09 am

Very excellent job Abilio! Nice consistent rhythm, maybe just a few beats too fast, but very close. All I could say is maybe just a bit more dynamic strumming, a slight inflection or emphasis on the proper beats would give just a bit more "feel" I say "proper beats" because I can't actually figure out what those are. As Neil mentions in his lesson, the accents and beats vary throughout the song. This song has a wicked pattern too it. You really did a bang up job though! I can't say I could tell for certain if you had all the exact 2 beats, 4 beats, 2 beats right or not, but I bet you did considering how great it sounded. Really nice work, welcome to the club. I really hope we see more from you soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic