TOVO - Into my arms Nick Cave

Lavallee

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Tony, as the others have said, you have such a great voice. I think you should try to get in of those coffee shop to give live performance.

Marc

BigBear

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:42 am

Tony- First, I love the new look! Cool hat and beard; talk about a scary dude! You could even scare the Bear away!

OK, the song, It's always about the song isn't it? I love the song although I've never heard it before. Nice interpretation of a piano tune (I watched Drake's version on YouTube).

Your voice was great. Perfect for the song. Deep and rich, much like Nick sings.

Obviously, this is a work in progress so you aren't fully comfortable with the chord changes yet. So that's easy to clean up. My one and only suggestion, and this happens a lot with piano tunes, is change your strumming somehow from straight up and down to more varied. Maybe pick out some notes or put some strategic pauses in there. I really felt that the steady strumming detracted from your great voice. This is expecially true in a spititual song which needs lots of feeling.

Another way of saying this is your voice is so strong that the guitar is really just along for the ride. Don't let a relatively easy guitar piece get in the way of the music! This may be a song when more is not necessarily better.

Well done my friend! But I'm still waiting for Norwegian Wood Part 2! LOL! Thanks for sharing a new song to many of us!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:53 am

I really liked that Tony. Nick Cave seems right up your street and you must keep going on that song until you have it exactly where you want it. Sure the guitar part is simple enough for you now because you can strum these chord changes really well, your touch has really improved a lot. That gives you a perfect platform to get the singing really polished because you're voice is just great for this kind of song. Honey baritone as Dennis put it, spot on! I hear Suzanne by Leonard Cohen coming up next! Great job Tony, really enjoying your progress!

...er, I'm not mentioning the trilby and beard, didn't notice a thing!!
But you know I have no MUST NOT POST button ;-). .... and as I'm writing this, bear has come along and let the cat out of the bag....

TGMatt

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 am

omfg I cannot wait to get out of this seminar to see this .. whilst I am stuck here pls proceed with working on love letter

u rock Tony

haoli25

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Agreed. You DO Rock Tony. I think that Nick Cave would be flattered by your performance. Bravo! I really liked it Tony. Thank you for posting your video.

Also, really cool hat!

Bill Image

BobR

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Tony,

As others have said I am not familiar with this song, but I thought you did a really good job. I popped over to YT and found the song done on the piano after listening to your guitar version. I think you did it justice.

Thanks for posting

Bob

jayswett

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Yes, I agree with all the others that this was very good. I realize that we at TG are prone to finding good in everything, which is laudable, but your singing truly deserves recognition. The guitar portion is nearly there, and I think Bear is right on the money with his comments, but your singing is really very, very good with this song. I enjoyed it, and I agree with Chris that you should pursue this song with no hesitation. David Gray will just have to wait.

Catman

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:12 pm

I enjoyed it immensely.

I have to agree with Jay and Bear on this.

David

tovo

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:52 pm

Thank you all very much. I think I was being indulgent with this, in that Dennis is very correct it's not a challenging song from a playing point of view. I just got the idea in my head that I could probably do a good job of singing it, and after I recorded I thought it was good enough to share. So I did. The site isn't really for that purpose but I think it's more entertaining than most of my posts! :)

I constantly shake my head in amazement at how positive people on this site are. Many of you have given me really useful and constructive comments to improve a simple 5 chord song. Thanks to you all.

Bear I put NW (Can't bear to say the full name of the damn thing!) in the closet for a while...maybe like a guitar it will improve with age.

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Tony,

I see nothing wrong with uploading a song that you just enjoy playing. It doesn't always have to have a huge write-up or stretch your abilities too much. If it's something that you're proud enough to share with everyone, I'd say that's a good enough reason to post it.

I wouldn't have posted half of the stuff I did if I looked for reasons in each one. Some might say I should have- but there you go.

My opinion of course.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic