TOVO - Into my arms Nick Cave

tovo

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 am

The song: OK guys. Matt is clearly a big Nick Cave fan, and Suzi told me a couple of days ago she told me she felt my voice would be good for one of his songs. I don't know how many of you would know Nick Cave but he's got a huge cult following in Australia (He's Australian but lives in England now) and I think he's a wonderful poet.

Anyway, I wondered if I could do a credible job of one of his songs. This is my favourite and although it's written for piano it's quite easy in terms of chords so after I got the kids to bed tonight I had a go at it. This is the result, if you get to the end you will see I didn't quite finish it, but I filmed this literally after 2 or 3 run throughs.

Why I posted: Well...I wanted feedback on whether I should pursue it as a tune. Nobody has ever said to me before "hey you should sing this guys songs" so I wanted to run with it and see if I actually could. As I said, didn't quite get though it but you will get the idea. Plus it fits with my mantra of not trying to post "perfect takes".

Oh...my wife went away and took my new Kodak with her!!! How very rude. So the quality is not what it will be next time I hope.

It's late here. I just uploaded so it's probably not ready but I will post anyway and it won't be far away.

Appreciate any feedback.

izzyhara

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:18 am

Man you have a wonderful voice !!! Thanks so much for sharing. My only suggestion - other than to keep working this one as it might be your signature song - is to put your music/words maybe on a music stand such that you can face us better, rather than looking at the couch. Very well done.....

dekotaj

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:18 am

Tovo.Man I dont know the song or Nick Cave.But if i could sing like that,There's not a song on the planet I would not attempt.And for this song I thought you sang it good and played it good for 2 or 3 takes.My vote add it to you song list,clean it up and play the hell out of it.

Kevin

dennisg

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:19 am

Tony,

It's about 5 A.M. here in Seattle, so I'm at the other end of the lousy-sleepers scale.

This is the first time I've heard it, but I love that song, and I can picture Nick Cave singing it. Your strumming looks nice and smooth, and seems to get more relaxed with every song you post. As always, your singing is a pleasure to listen to with your thick-as-honey baritone sweetening the lyrics.

There were a few times in the song I thought your left hand lagged behind the right one, and you were late making chord changes. But, hell, you're brand new to the song. I think with a few more practices, that issue would disappear completely.

You ask a very specific question in your post about whether or not you should pursue it as a tune. That's a hard one to answer, because I have mixed feelings. So, here goes: yes, you should keep playing that song, tightening it up, because it belongs in your repertoire. But, no, I don't necessarily think you should pursue it as a TG song because your skills have grown to the degree that they've eclipsed the demands of that particular song. Obviously, this is a personal opinion, but that's what you asked for.

As you know, I'm a big fan of yours, your version of Hallelujah being one of my all-time favorite uploads -- but if you're looking for a TG song, I'd like to see you move on to a song that asks more from you.

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 am

Hey Tony!

I don't know the artist, or the song.. but I'm sure you did it justice.

The one thing that stood out for me was your strumming. Have you been working on that? You seem to have a lighter touch than some of your other uploads-- which is good! It sounds more pleasing to my ear.

Well done. We should do a collaboration vid some time!

Al

suziko

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:40 am

Tony,

I am floored. I thought you could do justice to a Nick Cave song, but I had no idea just how good you could make it sound. Damn.

Dennis is probably right that the guitar part of this song is not really challenging you, but I don't think you put this up to show off your guitar skills.

Suzi

RicksPick

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:43 am

Keep it going Tony

That's my vote
It can only get better
It's good now with little practice
When you get comfortable with strumming it, your voice will be even better as not waiting for the guitar.
I have so much admiration for those that can sing,
I,ve been trying but its so scary, you make it look so natural
Well done

RicksPick

reiver

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:46 am

Tony - it's really nice to hear a song in a key that I can join in with. Really enjoyed it, thought you sang it really well and you looked much more comfortable with the playing too.

r

tom18

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 am

Tony,
Very well done. I hadn't heard that song before but you made it come alive. In fact I just became acquainted with Nick Cave's work last year while watching the Leonard Cohen tribute I'm Your Man on which Cave performs Suzanne and I'm Your Man. Incidentally that DVD is well worth viewing for Cave performances as well as several other artists. Thanks for posting,
Tom Image

abiliog

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:08 am

Tovo
I don't know the song but I agree about what was written, you have an excellent voice. Too much potential to stay concealed.

Good work
Abílio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic