TOVO - Into my arms Nick Cave

dennisg

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:13 pm

tovo wrote:
Thank you all very much. I think I was being indulgent with this, in that Dennis is very correct it's not a challenging song from a playing point of view. I just got the idea in my head that I could probably do a good job of singing it, and after I recorded I thought it was good enough to share. So I did. The site isn't really for that purpose but I think it's more entertaining than most of my posts! :)

I constantly shake my head in amazement at how positive people on this site are. Many of you have given me really useful and constructive comments to improve a simple 5 chord song. Thanks to you all.

Bear I put NW (Can't bear to say the full name of the damn thing!) in the closet for a while...maybe like a guitar it will improve with age.
Just to clarify, I have absolutely no problem with you posting a song you're proud of, one that's not a real challenge to you. (After all, I just posted "Angel from Montgomery.") But your question wasn't about whether or not you should post such songs. You asked if you should pursue the tune. I didn't know if that meant to pursue it personally or to make it a TG song, posting multiple iterations to demonstrate your improvement. So I answered for both possibilities.

tovo

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Al I honestly think your willingness to post songs in progress encouraged a lot of people to put up their first videos so kudos to you for that. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that you are about improving on the guitar and you help a heap of people along the way. I personally value your input very much.

Dennis, I meant pursue it personally. You can't offend me my friend if you're not trying to so don't be concerned. I'm probably a few sandwiches short of a good picnic in the brains department so if you WERE having a shot it would probably miss the mark anyway! No you are right, I won't pursue it as a TG song.

Having said all that I WAS proud that I could get through even a simple song (almost get through) in only a couple of tries. I think that in itself indicates improvement due to what I am learning here on TG so that's cool.

Yamaha48

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Hello my friend Tony.

Sorry im not familaire with tis tune,but it sounds pretty good.
Nice to see you with a topheat.
Good work mate.

cheers Anton

goldleaf

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Tony, great, we have more and more singers. Definite improvement on the strumming and the singing was great. It is just so super to watch the TG members blossom in front of your eyes. Bravo. Gary

haoli25

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Tony, I think you DID challenge yourself with this Nick Cave song. If you had only posted a strumming version of that song, then yeah, that would be too simple for your level of playing. But as many of us know, to play and sing is much more difficult, to play and sing a song that you have only just started working on is very difficult and inspirational to others.
When I watch one of the uploaded videos on TG, I not only look at the performance, but also all of the work and practice that went into that performance. I would feel the same in watching an absolute beginner playing their first C chord...it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there like that. The effort is always worthy of my appreciation.

Bill

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:13 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Tony, I think you DID challenge yourself with this Nick Cave song. If you had only posted a strumming version of that song, then yeah, that would be too simple for your level of playing. But as many of us know, to play and sing is much more difficult, to play and sing a song that you have only just started working on is very difficult and inspirational to others.
When I watch one of the uploaded videos on TG, I not only look at the performance, but also all of the work and practice that went into that performance. I would feel the same in watching an absolute beginner playing their first C chord...it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there like that. The effort is always worthy of my appreciation.

Bill

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that....

HANDCLAP!!

pbraun

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Tony great job! Guess I need to look up Nick Cave and his songs. You really did nice with this!
Pete

Craig

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Great job Tony. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said except for the fact that I admire and respect the fact that you are willing to challenge your comfort zone with the singing. I think the range of your voice is perfect for that song! Thanks for sharing.
Craig

cosmicmechanic

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Tovo, I'm convinced there is no connection between your wife's being away and your playing of this song. I would probably put the blame on one of the other songs you are currently practicing, so please continue posting videos until we can determine exactly which one is causing all the trouble ... we would be glad to help you out!

Frankly, nice rendition. I especially like the deep round voice you manage to obtain in the chorus. It may be a song you could develop by adding some fingerpicking to the strumming.

Pierre

mmmbldo

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Pursue, pursue! Very well done and well sung.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic