Blackbird Take #2, Heatndude

heatndude

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi everyone, as promised here is the progress on this tune. I hope no one gets grumpy about my choice of instrument so Ill say sorry in advance. This took a while to get done because I spent more time trying to figure out how to get better sound quality. Let me know how it sounds / video (got some new toys) Ohh almost forgot, let me have it on the guitar playing also !!! I know the arrangement is not correct and I missed a few notes. The electric guitar is a little more forgiving but it can also amplify your mistakes way more than a acoustic. The guitar is a older Epiphone les paul, solid mahogany body and flame maple top in a cabernet wine see thru finish. Running thru a Randall 75RGD3 amp and fast track pro recording interface with my MacBook.

Mark (Wisconsinhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4HsnkV0Vk

tovo

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey Mark it was sounding good to me man. I can't see why anyone would get grumpy about your Les Paul, it's a beauty. Maybe if you ripped out a sax someone might get out of joint! Anyway, love that song but haven't learned it so not about to offer tips. Sure you missed a few notes but it's coming along well from my point of view, thanks for posting it, I enjoyed listening.

Lavallee

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:36 pm

Mark, your playing is fluid and relaxed, a good sign of being confortable with a song. Can't suggest anything. The guitar sounds good. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Any idea how different it is from yours?

Marc

TGMatt

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Awesomeness

I have a les paul gold top so no issues here mate

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Sounds really good to me Mark, no issues with the Epi as far as i'm concerned.

Chas

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:00 am

Nice work, Mark.

You play it correctly, hitting the alternating bass notes with just your thumb (as Neil suggests). I haven't unlearned my bad habit of using my index finger for the D string (yet).

Craig

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:07 am

Hey Mark,
Nice job! I went back and watched the video that you originally posted about two weeks ago. Wow, great improvement in a short two week period! Sometimes I think we don't realize how much we are improving because we listen to ourselves everyday. Much smoother, and I saw the Epi in the background waiting for her turn! :laugh:
Great work,
Craig

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 am

Nice rhythmic progression there, soooooo similar to acoustic ...

not much electic/acoustic relativity to be debated, I think, just quite a nice rendition.

Pierre

willem

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:57 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Nice work, Mark.

You play it correctly, hitting the alternating bass notes with just your thumb (as Neil suggests). I haven't unlearned my bad habit of using my index finger for the D string (yet).
Like AL said, nice work, you got it down realy!!

Al, you said D string,,i think you don't wanna use The G-string anymore?? lol

carpet

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:41 am

Heatndude,

if I can be honest, it's got to be more fluid. The melody you're playing on the treble strings... you're cutting those notes way too short - try to relax a bit more with your left hand and not be in any kind of rush to get to the next note, or at least not to play those notes so definite - let them merge into the next one. Other than that, you've got the timing spot on - the only thing I would say is that you have to work on making the song one long, smooth passage rather than merely a sequence of notes. The more you play it, the more you'll disrespect it's structure, the less you'll care and the better you'll play. The paradox and secret to just about everything, right?

Love the guitar btw - I had one a few years back, got too frustrated, sold it. Worst mistake I ever made. Sunburst, mine was and I fed it through a vox pathfinder - if you turn the bass way up, it literally makes your eyes water and there's nothing you can do about it. Lovely guitar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic