Is there anybody out there - Craig

Craig

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:19 am

Here is my second video posting. I've been trying to improve my fingerpicking, and I'm a Pink Floyd fan...so, "Is There Anybody Out There" seemed like a good choice.

The good news is that I wasn't nearly as nervous as I was for my first posting...assuming each time will get a little easier.

I also decided to do one take and whatever happens happens. I didn't want to do 19 takes until I did a god one because I think this is a little more honest in evaluating where I am right now.

I'm not going to do a big "Thank You" everytime I post a video, but I feel the need to express my gratitude to the TG community for continuing to be so positive, encouraging, and inspiring for me. I'm really having a lot of fun! :)

Craig

[video type=youtube][/video]

BigBear

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:45 am

Craig- outstanding job! Obviously, a little slow but you offset this with accuracy- exactly what you should be doing! Speed comes with confidence!

You have this song almost mastered! Each time you play it try to pick up speed a little without sacrificing the very nice fingerpicking!

I'm impressed! Congrats on a very good video!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:02 am

hey Craig congrats mate on a good job. I'm going to offer only 1 tip, and if I'm off the mark I'll get corrected. I think you need to try and get your picking thumb further forward so that it is in front of your fingers. I reckon then you will notice a difference. At the moment the thumb is level with or even a little behind the fingers which restricts movement I think. Like I said, good job, pretty clean, just offering that tip. Cheers mate.

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:29 am

Good JOb Craig, it seems like there are a few of us Out There with good words. Like Tony one tip but different to his one, your left hand could be further round in front of the neck by bringing your thumb to the middle of the back of the neck then those four fret stretches will become easier.

Al the same very good for one take that is the best way to go I believe.

Good on ya mate

PS Edit Mentioned wrong hand first time around lol

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:09 am

Hey Craig,

Really good- especially for one take! Nice and clean.

I'd agree with what's been said about your right hand position. Have your fingers (knuckles?) angled more towards the floor and thumb more forward. I fight the same thing all the time.. always have to remind myself.

heatndude

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:03 am

Good job Craig, I think you sound great. I agree with the other folks about your hand positions, I have to work hard on that myself. Keep up the good playing !!!!!!!!

Mark

wammer

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:48 am

Yeah great job Craig...Could tell you werent as nervous this time. Man the pressure of all you finger pickers is gettin heavy on my shoulders.

Have a great day

Tammy

Lavallee

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Craig, very nice posting. The overall playing is smooth and relaxed. You are using your right hand fingers in home position which is challenging on his own.

The challenge of this song is to have a clear ringing of all the strings since it is a slow song.

In Neil's lesson he is discussing using a different fingering for measure 2-3 and 4. Right now when when you move your left ring finger of the Am of the first measure to do the F at the second measure the G string stops ringing in the transition. Then when you move from the F chord to the third measure with the pinky on the 4th fret you have all your fingers on the fret board . The long stretch cause a bit of muting on the first and second string. If you look at Neil's lesson there is section called left hand and into the break down section where he discussed about it.

Also in measures 20 and 24 you are using a hammer on and pull off with your pinky while itis just a hammer on and hitting the empty E string. However you migth have made the choice to play it like you do and it sounds fine as well

BobR

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Craig,

I just wanted to say I enjoyed it. I won't give any critique since I have not done much finger picking and it looked like you were comfortable with yours. And one take very nice.

Bob

MarkM

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:57 am

Craig,

That was really very good. Much improvement over your first video. The tone and clarity were very good as well. I'm sure with more practice time you'll grow more confident and smooth out the chord changes. Thanks for posting.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic