You Ain't Goin' Nowhere

jimcjimc

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Here is my first attempt at a video - Bob Dylan's You Ain't Goin' Nowhere. One of the things I have been working on is trying to keep a steady rhythm with my right hand - this song is good for that because the left hand is just playing a 4 chord pattern - G Am C G.

And yes I wore one of my Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirts to see if that would help my playing - it didn't :laugh:

This video has very poor quality, so don't waste your time on it - look for a better version down the page

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Hey there Jimc... must have missed your sign up on the introduce yourself thread. Welcome to the video posters' club! First Dylan song we've had, I think. Great to see you posting and I thought you were doing pretty well with that. I can't comment on the playing as the visuals are not so clear and out of sync with the audio. If you can get that sorted, we can give you much more accurate feed back!

haoli25

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Jim. I actually liked the Aloha Shirt. :) Your video was a little choppy and out of sync, but other than that I thought it sounded pretty good. You might try to keep the thumb on your left hand down a little. It will help make your chord transitions a little smoother. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

heatndude

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi Jimc, welcome to the video club. The guitar playing sounds smooth but as the good doctor says it does not match the lyrics and the video is a little off. Sounds like you are not a complete beginner you can play and sing at the same time and thats not easy. Good job keepem coming.

Mark

BobR

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately the video was out of sync as others have said, so it's hard to comment. Can you try reposting?

Bob

RicksPick

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Jim

Ditto with the video

Big congrats with the singing though

RicksPick

MarkM

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Jim,

Yeah you know by now the video was choppy. I like the song choice and it sounded fine. Maybe a bit rushed but the notes were clear. Kudos for singing!!!! I haven't had the nerve on that one yet. I have enough trouble keeping two hands in sync nevermind trying to sing over it. So great job there. Once the video is cleaned up I'd like to see it again. You may want to make sure the format is ideal for YouTube. Check with some of the folks here. I believe there was a thread going around on video formats a little while ago. Welcome aboard. Looking forward to more.

MarkM

Lavallee

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Jim, you seem to be quite comfortable with the song and the singing is good. It is a little difficult to see but you seem to be strumming with your index only,as your thumb seems to be sticking up. Is it a video effect? Or maybe it was for this song only? If not I would consider joining the thumb and the index for the invisible pick. If you stay with the index only, you will have trouble when you will need to pick individual string.

Marc

jimcjimc

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Sorry about the video quality. I recorded it on an old web camera with a separate microphone. I will try to re-record it on a camera we have that takes videos.

I have introduced myself before here http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/84- ... new-member

And others (Stuart with buckets of rain and Anton with knockin on heaven's door) have done dylan songs.

Yeah, I do strum with just my index finger - in fact I did so many takes of this song today, I have a blister on the pad of my index finger.

I watched one on Neil's videos for beginners and have a list of a half dozen things I do wrong, including, strumming with the wrong fingers, bad left hand position, etc, etc,

Lots to work on - thanks for the comments on my singing attempt - now when does that vocal coach start working??? :)

jayswett

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:42 pm

You definitely deserve some props for singing/playing at the same time. I have not yet found in myself an ability to do that. Congrats on your first video, and I hope it's the first of many.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic