You Ain't Goin' Nowhere

d_dog

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Way to go JimC. Singing and playing definitely adds a whole other dynamic to playing guitar. I think when you memorize the words better so they aren't in the way of your changes and strumming that will help. Please post again with your new cam.

BigBear

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:29 am

Jim- That was really good! The video problems have been mentioned before but you'll straighten those out. Your voice was perfect for that sound!

I made a comment to Pierre that it is really hard to hear strumming when it's done with the thumb. But you sounded a little rushed. Maybe it was just nerves. Try to get smooth and steady, no need to hurry.

Thanks for posting that video, I really enjoyed it! :cheer:

dekotaj

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:57 am

Hey Jim,

Like the song the singing and the shirt.I think if the video was in sync you might be suprised just how good of a job you did on the song.Bravo!Jim

Kevin

tovo

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 am

Hey Jim. Kudos for posting, I thought your voice was well suited for the song. Sure the video quality detracted, hopefully you can get that sorted. Good job though.

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 am

Hey Jim well done for singin with your first post. Has anyone mentioned the vid sync yet? lol .

A few pointers from the team about thumb etc which I'm inclined to agree, personally I thought the tempo was a bit fast and I think with Dylan songs sometimes less is more in regards the actual strum pattern. BUt hey despite video/audio issues very recogniseable and good job

good on ya mate.

willem

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:13 am

Hello Jim,,great going,,pity about the vid but the song came nicely along,,hope you get down your to do list on.... well you know....see ya.

AndyT

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:09 am

Well, what can I say? Don't use the Japanese overdub anymore. :lol:

Nice job. I also think you were a bit fast. Sound and vid issues already covered. I'm looking forward to your next one.

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Jim,

Your voice suits Dylan songs well. Nice first effort.
As others have said, the video was choppy- but the audio stayed solid, so that's a plus.

Try doing some tests with how you're recording. If you're recording on a webcam-- go in the video options menu. Experiment with different file formats. I see from the upload that you used .avi format. These tend to be pretty big files and don't use the best compression. That may be why your video is choppy.

Try Windows Media File (.wmv) if you have that option or an .mpg file. Also experiment with different video sizes. 800 x 600 seems to work well for me.

Good luck!

suziko

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:47 am

Hi Jim,

That wasn't a Dylan song I knew, but I enjoyed your interpretation of it. You sounded really comfortable playing it and sang "with feeling" which I always appreciate.

Thanks for posting! Suzi

jimcjimc

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! Thanks Al for the technical hints. I looked at the group you created on videos - lots of good stuff there. I re-did it with the same webcam and microphone, but this time I used Moviemaker (I didn't even know that was on my computer) instead of using the web cam Software.

Thanks d_dog for the great suggestion about memorizing the song - it made me remember a line from another Dylan song - "I'll know my song well before I start singing" (although, I still muffed some lines in the 3rd verse :(

Anyway, here is a better quality video:

for those of you not familiar with the song, here is a cool version with the byrds & earl scruggs:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic