The Book of Love - Magnetic Fields - Massacred by Cosmicmechanic

dennisg

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:15 am

Pierre,

An extremely enjoyable first effort. You played with confidence and sang very, very well. Like some other people mentioned, I'd love to be able to hear your singing and playing better, so maybe by your next upload you will have improved your recording setup. (There's a lot to be said for running your guitar and a mic through an amp.) But I think your voice lends itself perfectly to a lot of songs from different eras, and I hope to hear a lot of them coming from you. Congratulations on your first post.

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks

pbraun

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:26 am

I thought this was great! I had to turn up the volume a bit but it was really good. Now there is another band/singer I need to find!
Pete

cosmicmechanic

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks again for all the encouragement and constructive comments ...
nice community here ...

Bear: You are right, I admit to somewhat undisciplined technique on this post, I was hoping to get something usable without too much stumbling. I'll consider a bit more discipline in the future. Thanks!

Kevin: Those early 70s coffee houses sure weren't no StarBucks (hehehe). Yeah, that was me all right ... never forget a face, do you?

Jay, Izzy: I should do a cleaner version ? Thanks for suggesting ... is motivating.

Hard to be scientific, but some comments give me the impression that the playback "quality" varied greatly depending on the location of the user on the receiving end ... duh(?)

Suzi: Thanks for the link, I enjoyed the article, also many interesting comments on the bottom of that web page.
About the album "Realism": the Magnetic Fields show I saw last weekend was to promote that album. It's not often you can actually catch on to a completely new album by watching it performed live, but they managed to put it across really well. All the lyrics were intelligeable, Merritt gave us mood swings, from laughing aloud to being kinda wistful. I'll soon let you know more about the audio I mentionned.

Andy: No disguises were used ... thank goodness for low-resolution webcams! :lol:

suziko

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Merritt gave us mood swings, from laughing aloud to being kinda wistful.

No surprise there. He's one of my favorite lyricists. I can't wait to check out the new album!

ncsurfer

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Pierre,

I absolutely love that song! Peter Gabriel also does a version of it that is very haunting. You did a great job!
This is one of the songs I've been working on for a while trying to get my daughter to sing along with me. You have set the bar pretty high compared to my flailings. I had shelved my efforts on this song for a while now but you have motivated me to start working on it again...Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic