The Book of Love - Magnetic Fields - Massacred by Cosmicmechanic

cosmicmechanic

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Lately, a good number of members here have shown themselves to be good sports
by putting up videos in which they both sing and play.

I have such a great time watching you people, and one good turn deserves another ... here goes.

I now submit this "massacre" of a very simple song: "The Book of Love" by one of my fetish bands "The Magnetic Fields".
Please forgive my webcam microphone's hissing along with me.

It's the kind of song I can play really relaxing and not worrying about technique (3 chords: G, C and D),
like cutting through butter with a warm knife. The lyrics are easy as pie too:

================
The book of love is long and boring
No one can lift the damn thing
It's full of charts and facts and figures
And instructions for dancing but

I...
I love it when you read to me and
You...
You can read me anything

The book of love has music in it
In fact that's where music comes from
Some of it is just transcendental
Some of it is just really dumb but

I...
I love it when you sing to me and
You...
You can sing me anything

The book of love is long and boring
And written very long ago
It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes
And things we're all too young to know but

I...
I love it when you give me things and
You...
You ought to give me wedding rings
I...
I love it when you give me things and
You...
You ought to give me wedding rings

===========================

===========================

So you may forgive the above video, here is the original by "The Magnetic Fields":

Also, at no extra cost, a version by Peter Gabriel:

The main creative force in the "Magnetic Fields" is Stephen Merritt, who plays the 8-string ukulele. He's become a legendary songwriter, but all the band members are impressive.

I went to a MEMORABLE "Magnetic Fields" show just 2 nights ago (Feb. 6, 2010).
They played to a packed house in a historic theatre in Montreal, Quebec. Great atmosphere!
I've yet to find a good live sequence of them on YouTube, a lot of cellphone cameras, but I'll keep looking.

As for my video, I'm doing it to participate, please feel free to comment on whatever, throw me tomatoes or flowers, I sure don't mind ... it's all in fun.

Pierre

P.S.: Come to think of it, you can me throw money, too! ;)

jayswett

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Massacre? Are you crazy? That was very, very good. Your voice was perfect for that song, and you more than did it justice. You should be very proud of that performance. Well done.

TGMatt

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Perfect mate..

A song I would not have picked to show up here, but Peter Gabriel is in my top 20 fave artists...so I knew it well..

Thx mate

Lavallee

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Pierre, I honestly thought that your version is more entertaining than the original. You voice just sounds great and the guitar rhythm with the capo gives a good completion.

I thougth it was great. I envy you that you can sing as it widens so much the repertoire.

Marc

tovo

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Pierre my cosmic friend. I agree your voice is very nice. I only wish I could hear it more clearly. You sure did not massacre it, so put those thoughts aside. Your voice is great for this song. Kudos.

Craig

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Pierre,
That was very good and a lot of fun, thanks for sharing! Your voice is a great fit for that song. By coincidence, I've read that book! :lol:
Craig

jimcjimc

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Pierre,
Great post - good guitar playing & singing! Thanks for including the other versions, for in my limited music education, I hadn't heard of this song or Magnetic Fields before.

snipe

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 pm

I have to say that it was very pleasent to listen to. The whole thing was well ochestrated right down to the setting. I loved it. Thanks for posting that!

Great Voice!!

Snipe

d_dog

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Wow! Cosmic, I'm so stoked that you posted! Great job! You have a great voice, you most certainly did not massacre that song. I didn't know that song before but after listening to the original, you did fantastic. You're going to be hooked on posting videos not just you wait and see. It's addicting! I know you already know the quality is low, but I'm sure you could work on that.

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Well Pierre, you took a page out of Matt's Under-Promise and Over-Deliver book with your thread title! I really enjoyed your video.

Question about your strumming--
I occasionally strum that way as well (just using my thumb). When I do, I actually find it's easier for me to keep time that way. Do you find the same thing?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic