Beatles I'm Only Sleeping

pbraun

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Ok, since there are so many willing be there their souls or voice as it were with their playing I thought I would try. Probably the last time. I actually had gun surgery yesterday and the pain pills seem to be working otherwise I'm sure it would have been the guitar only. The song is probably only known to the outright Beatle fans, it's not a top 20 song. It was on Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow in the US and Revolver in UK. A great Lennon song.
I know I have plenty to learn so I welcome your feedback, I always take plenty of good things away from it.
And I hope I uploaded it correctly, now for another pain pill!
Pete

MarkM

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away..... I'm only sleeping...

Yeah Pete that was great. Always loved that song. Great job. You have the chords down well and are keeping a good rythem. Nice job on the singing as well. My only suggestion would be do dig in on some of the chords and snap them off short like during the line "Taking my time". I think you were playing a baby F there. Hit it, cut it off and then say the line "Taking my time". Just my .02 cents on that. It was great though. Really enjoyed it. I was waiting for the backward guitar track to come out..........

Thanks for picking this song and sharing!!!

MarkM

suziko

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Revolver is my 2nd favorite Beatles album (after Abbey Road), so this is a song I know and love.

I'd agree with Mark that varying your strum a bit more would be nice, but otherwise it was a nice job.

Suzi

tovo

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey Pete, kudos for the playing and singing mate. I hardly want to sound like a know all but I think you need you were a bit timid with the singing. I couldn't hear you in a lot of verses above the guitar. What I could hear sounded OK, but you need to project it out there. Don't leave anyone guessing. Like I said though, playing and singing is tough, well done for doing it.

Lavallee

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for posting. I am not familiar with that song but you are showing a greater confidence with the guitar and the fact that you sang proves it. Thos video is more solid with the strumming than your previous videos, that is great.

Marc

BobR

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Pete,

Great tune and I think you did a really good job singing and all. Guess the pain pills are good :laugh: Only as prescribed of course.

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Great job on posting this ultra cool Beatles song Pete! Great that you're singing. I caught it on youtube as you were uploading. Great job and well done on coming out of the closet with your voice!

cosmicmechanic

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Pete, Been to see "Dr. Robert" lately? ;)

Good for you playing Beatles tunes, not just lip service. Many who really admire their music don't actually play much by the Beatles.

I enjoyed your playing and singing, continued practice will allow you to obtain the "snap" as MarkM suggested, or the "beat" in the "Beat"les!

Hope to see an update.

Pierre

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice work, Pete. Bonus marks for singing too! I may need to borrow those pain killers of yours to get up the courage to sing in a video on here.

Re. your fret hand-- you seem to roll your fingers onto some of the chords. C and G chords in particular. By roll-- I mean you place your index-then middle-then ring etc. Placing your chord fingers down separately is desirable, but not necessarily in that order.

Neil also mentioned something about having a 'target finger' for chords, and landing those fingers first.. I guess to lead the rest of your fingers into place. I'm not totally sure, but for G, I think you're supposed to fret the 6th string first.. for C, the 5th string first.

Lastly, if you modify the way you play your G (to Neil's way), it would make the change from G to C easier/quicker and cleaner for you.

jayswett

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 am

A very nice job, both singing and strumming. You hit the higher notes with your singing very well. Your chord changes were right on except for that one bar chord, and the strumming was smooth. I like the idea of varying the strumming a bit, perhaps with hitting a base note here and there. I don't know this song so I don't know if the base note idea makes any sense, but the general idea is to find a way to mix up the strumming a bit. I think this was your best video to date. I do love being a witness to progress and improvement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic