Izzy does a lesson song

prawnpig

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Nice job Izzy.

Dave

abiliog

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Izzy,
Very good strumming, smooth and relaxed chord changes, lovely voice.
Is this rusty? My english must be very bad and my dictionary must be old...
I love it, I love it.
A big fan from the other side of the ocean.
Abilio

nemastetaylor

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:44 pm

Very nice!!!! Very impressed by your playing. And singing too. You will hear me comment alot on the videos that I am amazed at those, like yourself, that are so talented and can play and sing at the same time. Again, I really enjoyed your video. Beautiful cat too. Your guitar is very nice also. What kind of guitar???

Nemaste

sws626

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:15 am

Really enjoyed this, Izzy. Even though you say you've only just picked up this song and I know you've been away from the guitar for quite a while, you're so much at ease with it. I'm truly impressed.

-Stuart

(If I know how to make those clapping hands, there'd be a pair here)

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:58 pm

On behalf of those who haven't figured out these little emoticon thingy's yet

izzyhara

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks Nemaste. The guitar is a Breedlove, which I had never heard of when I went shopping. Atlas Series AC250. Wanted a Martin but WAY out of my price range. But played this one for 20 minutes or so, and fell in love with its feel and sound. It's a beauty, with great neck feel.

d_dog

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Absolutely stunning Izzy! Great sound and great video quality. I really like Breedlove, I have one too, AD200. Great job with the fast chord changes.

Hydroman52

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi Izzy,

Very nicely done. Good guitar work and good vocals.

Looks like you are ready to take it a bit farther. There's a little harmonics riff that N Young does that really adds life to the song. This sounds nice when two guitars play with one adding the harmonics riff. I'm sure you can do this. The harmonics are very simple (1st string/12th fret - 2nd string/12th fret - 3rd string/12th fret - 4th string/12th fret - 5th string/7th fret). Doing that last harmonic on the 5th string/7th fret gets you moving toward the next chords that you will be playing down the neck. Here is Mr. Young doing it:

[video][/video]

At about 2:13 into the song, you get a good view of the fretboard when he does it. Also, notice he isn't using a pick. I would imagine that your Breedlove would make these notes sing. If you try it while playing along with your video, you will see what I mean. Sometimes, when N Young plays this song with a band, these notes are played on the steel guitar over the top of someone on acoustic playing the harmonics. Check it out here at about 1:57 into the song, it stands out quite clearly:

[video][/video]

This must have been a practice session, because they had that maintenance crew guy sweeping the floor through the whole thing. There is also a nice hammer-on he does with that Em that is very simple, but adds a lot to the song. I seem to have lost my link to the video that shows it close up (sorry), but listen carefully and you can hear it at about 0:25 and 0:30 in this one:

[video][/video]

I think all that he is doing is a hammer-on from open 6th-5th-4th strings to 2nd fret 6th-5th-4th stings (all three at once). But again, you'll have to listen carefully to figure out how he does this in his style. Somewhere I have seen a video of him playing this song solo acoustic where he blasts it out and it's quite obvious. Maybe someone else has seen it and can point it out.

These are just a couple of little embellishments that can be done without too much trouble that really add color to the song. Neil (Hogan) has shown how to play most of the song, but he always leaves some for us to discover on our own. And that's as it should be.

Hope this helps,
Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic