TOVO - Pink Bullets

BobR

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Tony,

Well done. As others have said I am not familiar with the song, but I just liked what you did. I've been to a few open mics(to listen that is I'm not ready) and I am sure you'd do great.

Bob

tovo

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 pm

nbraff wrote:
Tony, that song suits your voice quite well. If I heard you play that at an open mike night I would grab another cup of coffee and hope to hear you play another. Really a super job...thanks for posting it.
That's kind Nancy thanks very much.

Thank you also Matt. Still want those Tim Tams?

Thank you Bob very much. I think open mike nights are cool. There are a lot of really talented people out there.

MarkM

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 am

Tony,

Well done indeed!! Your strumming was soft as butter on this one. I'd have to say it's your best performance so far and I don't even know the song. You are always full of surprises. For someone that can't sing a lick I really admire your voice. As for the open mike night, you're on your way!!!! Thanks for posting.

MarkM

tovo

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 am

Mark you're too generous I think but I'm really glad you liked it. My playing has a ways to catch up on yours I think. Anyway, if you dug my version you will love the original. Beautiful song:

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:35 am

Tony, great post. Guitar tech comments already have been well put. I'd just add that it's the first time I see you do vocal in a higher range, and it really seems to be in your comfort zone. Maybe a bit more wind, or push here and there, would put it over the top. There are so many songs with that flavor of voice, I suppose you've got some more up your sleeve. Good stuff!

Also another new band to investigate! Help!

Pierre

tovo

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:58 am

I know what you mean Pierre, so many bands I have discovered here on TG and need to investigate, but it's a real bonus from my point of view. Thanks for your generous comments.

dekotaj

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:39 am

Bravo!!Bravo!!

Tony,good job on this song.Not one that I know.But do like the strumming you have going on in it.Sure seem like we are all getting alot out this site.I guess that was the hole ideal.I really enjoy listening to these song and artist that people are sharing that ive never heard before.Some great music.

Thanks again for posting.

Kevin

RicksPick

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 am

Hi Tony

I see you advancing greatly
Well preformed

RicksPick

BigBear

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:41 am

Tony- really cool song! You played it very nicely. I had a really hard time hearing the guitar. The sound was oversaturating the mic or camera and it cancelled out any definition. But I heard enough to know I liked it a lot.

One comment about the strumming. You mentioned right off the bat that it was a difficult strumming song. Not so much difficult as it is a more unusual technique.

I think this is a song where you might try the "clawhammer". The guitarist on the original song (James Mercer?) only plays the highest 3 or 4 strings and in a very clipped fashion. This will require you to either do palm muting or string damping to get that clipped sound. It's the whole basis of the song. A good example of this is in Neil's lessons for both Old Man (clawhammer) and From the Beginning (string muting using either the middle or ring finger).

Your voice is always solid so if you can get the guitar part right you will really have a great song and solid number for your "play book".

Thanks for another great video post! Keep 'em coming!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:22 am

Thanks very much Kevin and Rick.

Bear thanks mate. I know that the original is done as you say with palm muting. I took the style I played it in from another Australian artist who covered it. I'm keen to advance to palm muting and claw hammer techniques though so I'll check out the songs you mentioned. It will need to wait a while though, it's back to finger picking for me on my next effort! Thanks for your comments, always appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic