The Ballad of Casey Deiss by Marc

stratman3

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:57 am

Marc,

Very nice, both playing and singing. I do not know any of Shawn Phillips work, but I will check it out. I agree with Bear and Suzi, I love those old folk ballads.

Thanks for sharing. B)

Lavallee

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:19 am

Thanks for the nice comments Stratman, Shawn Phillips was known for his voice but was also a good session guitarist. He worked with the Beatles, Jimmy Page while with the Yardbirds,Donovan and Al Stewart among others.

If you take the time to listen to this record (Second Contribution), you will find that all the songs are excellent and plays some very interesting guitar.

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:28 am

Hi Marc,

Well done on this song- I hadn't heard it before. Re. the guitar playing- well done in general. I listened to the original, and you might consider adding a few more hammer on's to the arpeggios to make it more interesting.

I'm not confident or qualified to give any singing advice. Just a thumbs up from me!!

reiver

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:48 am

Great video Marc, good choice of song (previously unknown to me) and congratulations on overcoming your reluctance to sing. Can't wait to hear some of those Robert Plant vocals next.

r

Lavallee

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:56 am

Hi Al, thanks for the comments, I will look back at the song to see how I can improve on those hammer on. My idea to sing on the video was more to say well others have done it and still woke up the next day. I wanted to say that I have done it and it would be the end of it. I think I will try a little more now that the first wall is down

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:59 am

reiver wrote:
Great video Marc, good choice of song (previously unknown to me) and congratulations on overcoming your reluctance to sing. Can't wait to hear some of those Robert Plant vocals next.

r
Thanks Stuart, Robert Plant, right :laugh:
I actually can play one showing all of Plant's talent : Black Mountain Side

Marc

izzyhara

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:33 am

Marc - this was really awesome. I totally enjoyed your singing, which was so well suited to this song. Guitar playing was not flawless, but hey, it just isn't for us and I personally loved the smile when you flubbed. That is such Izzy behaviour (watch my Harvest Moon video when I laugh out loud at my total miss !!). I am seeing in myself that it actually changes my learning when I know I might want to share this with the group. Maybe it will work that way for you as well. Even if the song is dark (you SO stressed the word "died" which made me smile), never forget the joy you are creating, for you and for us, in sharing your music. I look forward to more from you. Loved it !!!
Izzy

MarkM

Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 am

Marc,

That was really very good. I quite enjoyed that. Not familiar with the song but I now want to check out the artist. Very interesting in that it allows you to show several different styles of playing. All of which you did great at. I particularly like the part where you slip out of finger picking and into a nice strumming pattern around the 3:30 mark. Nice job on the singing as well!!! Thanks for sharing this song and performance.

MarkM

Lavallee

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:17 am

Izzy, thanks for your good comments, I really enjoy doing this song as the guitar part is repetitive enough so that I could focus on singing. I smiled when I missed the line because my son came in the room while I was recording and realizing what I was doing closed the door quickly but my focus was a bit shifted (such a weak mind :( ) and I lost the line. To avoid that I had zoom the screen to have larger font, and still I missed it , so I was laughing at myself. As you said, same approach as you, this is supposed to be fun, no reason to get upset.

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:25 am

MarkM wrote:
Marc,

That was really very good. I quite enjoyed that. Not familiar with the song but I now want to check out the artist. Very interesting in that it allows you to show several different styles of playing. All of which you did great at. I particularly like the part where you slip out of finger picking and into a nice strumming pattern around the 3:30 mark. Nice job on the singing as well!!! Thanks for sharing this song and performance.

MarkM
Thanks Mark, regarding the different styles, that part you are refering, if you listen to the original , is somewhat palm muted. Shawn plays with a pick to do the arpeggio and only really played the bass notes with some palm muting and rolling the pick on the strings. Because I only use my fingers I could not do cleanly that accurate picking.I think it still came out allrigth. I also like the end strumming where it starts slowly and increase withinh the same beat.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic