The Ballad of Casey Deiss by Marc

Lavallee

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi all, This is the Ballad of Casey Deiss from Shawn Phillips from his record Second Contribution (I just hope he will not sue me ; ) ).

Many of you have post a singing video and I was reluctant to do it because I can hear me sing, but what the heck. So not taking this too seriously as you noticed in the video, I took one take and I am missing a few chords at the end and even lost the words as I lost the line on the screen.

It is just for fun but I am happy I did it because if it wasn't for all of you who posted, and stretch their neck out, I would not have dared. Now that it is done, I migth enjoy singing outloud rather than just playing the guitar. The song is little long as there is a instrumental part at the end. I say instrumental because Shawn is singing during that part but there is no way I can sing anywhere close, so I only strum.

Marc

Here is the real one from Shawn Phillips

willem

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hi all, This is the Ballad of Casey Deiss from Shawn Phillips from his record Second Contribution (I just hope he will not sue me ; ) ).

Many of you have post a singing video and I was reluctant to do it because I can hear me sing, but what the heck. So not taking this too seriously as you noticed in the video, I took one take and I am missing a few chords at the end and even lost the words as I lost the line on the screen.

It is just for fun but I am happy I did it because if it wasn't for all of you who posted, and stretch their neck out, I would not have dared. Now that it is done, I migth enjoy singing outloud rather than just playing the guitar. The song is little long as there is a instrumental part at the end. I say instrumental because Shawn is singing during that part but there is no way I can sing anywhere close, so I only strum.

Marc

Here is the real one from Shawn Phillips

Twas a man of youthful features
Twas a boy of sorrowful eyes
Watching out but looking inward
Tall and stately and full of life

In his life he spoke but rarely
In his mind he cried for light
Painting perceptions trying to capture
That which he saw in his questioning strife

Once in Lisbon, twice in London
Travelling around for all of his time
Looking for and finding a goddess
He took Diana to be his wife

Of the children they'd begotten
Two had died without knowing life
And the third I know not whereof
But if she lives, she will yet be kind

Casey had a mark of simple value
He had a star between his eyes
In his hands he held an axe blade
The Greek symbol of thunder and fire

On a night when the heavens were crying
He went down and took his blade
Chopping wood to warm his hearthside
The lightning came and my brother died

Bring him no wine from faraway vineyards
Tell him no tales of the canyon's might
But wish him peace and eternal wisdom
For he has died and he died in light

willem

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Marc, nice song. not realy familyiar with but looks not unknown,,
nice finger picking and strumming,,well nice relaxed singin to..

Lavallee

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for your comments Willem and also thanks for posting the lyrics. Should you be looking for a relaxing album, this is it.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Congratulations on joining the TG vocalists Marc! Well done, its great fun to watch these videos and you do yourself proud! Pizza all the way!

BigBear

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Marc- I love these old English ballads. The gloom is so dark you can cut it with a knife! I call these my "Am ballads" because they all have that heavy, mournful feel.

You did it justice both in song and voice. Nice picking and your voice works well for that song!

I really enjoyed it although I had never heard it before. Thanks for posting it! :cheer:

jayswett

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:35 pm

That was wonderful. You played/sang a great song very, very well. I have nothing to add from a suggestion standpoint as the minor glitches that were evident will go away with as you play this more frequently. Shawn Phillips has several songs that would be great to learn.

BobR

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Marc,

I thought you did a great job, on the vocals as well. Not a song I am familiar with so I listened to the original you posted. Very nicely done.

Bob

tovo

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Hey Marc bravo! I particularly enjoyed the fingerpicking section and thought your voice was very well suited to the number. I really do think you should pursue singing with your playing, it sounded good. As always you make picking look so easy. Very enjoyable.

haoli25

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Fantastic Marc!! You did a great job playing and singing. It was a pleasure to listen to you. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic